"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Denny's Diner + Pistachios 3x

A few weekends ago, I met with a former co-worker and his wife, along with MFH in their neck of the woods...

This was the view of Spring Valley while stopped in a long line at the Jamacha offramp off the 125...

My friend chose the Denny's Diner in Rancho San Diego...

He is an older gentleman and this is his "go-to" place to meet his buddies. It's also right around the corner from MFH. Although I normally don't frequent any kind of Denny's places, I was happy since it was literally right around the corner from Pistachio's Sweets, so yeah, score.


He and his wife ordered from the 55+ menu where the prices are like $5 or something for the choices. I don't remember what he and his wife got but both were sandwiches, one with a side of onion rings and a salad for his wife.  We were served by his favorite and regular waitress, who was a nice gal, but man, for whatever reason, service was super slow that day. We finally got our food after what seemed like an eternity.  MFH and I both got the same thing (except I substituted my fries with their crappy bagged salad with cheese on it; cheese, ugh), the California Club sandwich.

It was "California" because it had avocado slices in it. The sandwich was just alright. I didn't care too much for the food but rather, more for the good company. The last time I had lunch with my friend was at Lil B's in North Park last year.


Leftovers above and hell yeah, a box of baklava below. Actually I went to Pistachio's first to get a box for my friend and his wife (both former educators) and one for us. Paying by the lb, my total for both boxes with six pieces each was $11, which is better than paying $2 per piece.



I love anything with pistachios in them!!! Well, Bert does more than me.


I also bought a couple of Middle Eastern flat breads for $1.50 each. This is not a typo. This was the ground beef; the other one had cheese and zatar on it (kind of tastes like oregano). I thought the spice paste was laid on rather thickly; I preferred the beef one better.



 When I bought these, they were still warm!

Denny's Diner
2642 Jamacha Rd.
El Cajon, CA 92019
(619) 660-3320

www.dennys.com  (I won't even link the reviews from you know where; they are pretty dismal with an overall "2" stars rating which is sucky)

Previous visit to Pistachios:
"Return to Ranas and Pistachios", January 11, 2015

I don't think I'll be coming back to this Denny's (or any Denny's unless I was totally desperate and starving and was held up at gunpoint and if there was no other restaurant around for miles. As for Pistachios, it is definitely now a regular stop whenever I'm in the area to visit MFH.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Hahah... my co-workers made me go to Denny's last week for lunch. I could have copped out and just had lunch by myself but felt I should.... try it again... for some reason. I also had a club sandwich, but the one without avocado. I was not very impressed. But pistachio baklava sounds awesome! I love that stuff. Seems there are more baklava places around here than I thought!

caninecologne said...

No offense, but your co-workers have terrible taste in lunch spots. Denny's? WTF. YOu might as well eat at a gas station and even then, the food might be better.

There are quite a few of these baklava places out in El Cajon due to the large Chaldean population.