
which WASN'T here (photo above). I took the photo because it has Inday Filipino Kitchen on the sign!
This was a busy area in the Financial District...
near the hustle and bustle of Yerba Buena Gardens, Moscone Center, and the Metreon plus a nearby shopping mall...

After walking around the other side of the block, we found the bakery that Thane's cousin recommended, La Boulange.

If that name sounds familiar to you, it might be because La Boulange baked goods are now being sold at your local Starbucks. I know, I just saw it the other week when trying to use a gift card. Their savory pastries were already gone by lunch, which bummed me out. I really wanted to try their tomato and cheese savory square. Sad lemur.
Back to SF though...we wanted a small snack before heading to the bridge. I saw the macs and chose the chocolate hazelnut.

Yes, just one. The other flavors were kind of pedestrian.
Those tarts sounded good (potato and ham as well as cauliflower), but we ended up getting the mini BLT.

Everything sounded good except for the goat cheese and tomato.
It was nice to sit in a place with A/C...


Our mini snacks: TC's iced mango tea, the mini BLT, my chocolate hazelnut mac and Bert's mocha, which was served in a big a$$ "bowl", which he found awkward to drink from.

More bacon please...

Actually this was pretty good for that moment. We didn't want to eat too much since we were planning to meet up with one of my former students (Class of 2000 yo'!) for dinner.

A cute little place (although it's a Bay Area chain)...
La Boulange (multiple locations)
781 Mission Street
San Francisco, CA 94103
(415) 777-8667
laboulangebakery.com
Because of this place's French name, I thought of this particular song from "The Little Mermaid". Disney always seem to have a stereotypical over the top French character in their movies with a Maurice Chevalier accent, like this chef. I always thought this song was hilarious.
"Zut alors! I have meeeesed one!"
and of course, Lumiere the candlestick from "Beauty and the Beast"
It's funny watching these movies again after two decades. I tried so very hard to have TC grow up Disney and Princess-free and I almost succeeded. The cynical teen that she is now sees the entertainment value in these songs and luckily, not the crappy "I need a man to make my life meaningful" messages that these movies impress upon young girls.
Rant over.
Hmmmm, I still prefer the Simpsons parody, "Se My Vest" as sung by Mr. Burns.
"See this hat? 'Twas my cat..."
Up next, Fort Point and the Golden Gate Bridge...


2 comments:
Oh my. The size/scale photo (macaron, mini BLT, beverage and gallon bowl of coffee) is so cool. Now I am curious about the new Starbucks items...
Thanks Cathy. I really liked the sandwich here...that coffee was huge. We did NOT expect that!
Post a Comment