"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Fast Times at Clairemont High + a cool rummage sale find

When I first snapped this shot on the PCH near Little Italy, I was trying to get the primate mural...

I didn't realize there was an incoming plane headings towards Lindbergh field!

That was pretty close, as the plane flew overhead....


We were headed to Clairemont for some errands.

The sports event was here in neighborhood of Clairemont.

Clairemont High School is THE school where then twenty two year old writer Cameron Crowe went undercover as a high school student in 1979 to research and write about high school life.  He later named his book, "Fast Times at Ridgemont High". Yes, the partial namesake of my blog.  The movie soon followed in 1982 and has become a classic teen 80's film featuring many actors who made their debuts in the film, such as Sean Penn, Nicholas Cage (billed as Nicholas Coppola), and Forest Whitaker (all Oscar winners now) as well as Jennifer Jason Leigh.

Since I work at a high school, I like seeing other high schools and comparing the buildings, mascots, and school colors.This school was built in 1958 (much older than my workplace, but not by much). The school is divided into academies, much like Kearny High.  The building you see is the "front office".

There's a purpose for this....

Here is one of my favorite scenes in the movie which references the "front office" as well as a classic insult uttered by the perpetually stoned surfer, Jeff Spicoli.

The "front office" is mentioned after Mr. Hand rips up Jeff Spicoli's locator card. Remember those?
Trivial to some, but funny as hell to me. I read in an article that Ray Walston was trying to channel Jack Lord from "Hawaii 5-0" for his Mr. Hand character.

Bert and I thought it was interesting to see what looked like a mini planetarium (not sure if this is functional or not). The murals on the walls were related to math, science and space.


The rummage sale sign got my attention as well as the letters and the mascot formed on the chain link fence.





"Home of the Chieftains" it says.

The rummage sale was a fundraisers for a few sports teams. The ladies I spoke to were very nice and it seems like a lot was already picked over (they had been open since the early morning hours).

Wow, this trivia game is now a relic. Given up most likely by a disappointed fan.

We have the old school Battleship game too!

Here's an old commercial for the game:

"Battleship" was referenced in "Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey" (the crappy sequel to "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure":

And referenced in "The Simpsons" where Lisa is calling out Bingo letters/numbers and Jasper keeps retorting the famous refrain.

Here's one of the vintage teacups and sauces from the set I bought at the rummage sale. I saw only one on display and wanted to buy it; the lady told me it was a whole set of six plus the creamer pitcher and sugar bowl (no teapot though).  All for $20.


The stamp underneath may date from the 70's-80's. I couldn't find an exact year online but apparently this was a popular pattern. Many individual pieces run at least $25 or more or as high as $200 for larger pieces like soup tureens or platters.

The set came with a an older business card of a store that no longer exists, J & J's Garage Sale Store in La Mesa. I googled the address and Goodwill popped up.  The pink sticky note indicates that the previous owner paid $139.99 for the set and $16.99 for shipping and handling. Yikes!



These are quite lovely and I will be putting these on display during the holidays. I do plan to use these for tea and desserts as well. Why have nice things if you can't use them?

As you may already know, "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" is one of my favorite movies. Although I never watched it in the theater when it was released (it was rated R), I did watch it many times on Betamax and VHS, ha ha.

Here is the original movie trailer from 1982:

Incidentally, the song, "She's My Baby (And She's Outta Control)" by Palmer/Jost was NEVER in the movie. It  was on the soundtrack but only featured in this trailer. The TV version of the movie also has a different soundtrack (plus extra scenes) because they couldn't get permission to use certain songs.

Here is an original TV ad. Please check out the scene of Spicoli banging the checkered Vans slip on shoe against his head. See the poster in the background? In the movie, the woman in the poster is very nekkid, but for this trailer spot, she is wearing a crudely drawn black bikini top and bottom! This is hilarious!  On TV, the posters are also darkened or blurred out. As if people can't tell what they're covering up!

Articles about "Fast Times at Ridgemont High":
"Fast Times revisited" The Uncool.Com (article from the San Diego Union, March 25, 1989

"Fast Times class rolls back clock" San Diego Union Tribune, Nov. 8, 2009

"Fast Times at Ridgemont High - What really happened to the class of 1979?" EastPortlandBlod, April 20, 2013

"Fast Times at Ridgemont High Crowe's Undercover High School Masterpiece" SelvedgeYard.com, Oct. 30, 2013

"To all the fools in Clairemont, Happy April" ClairemontTimes, April 1, 2015

+ Fb page for Fast Times at Ridgemont High (featuring Clairemont HS)

One last video, "Fast Times at Clairemont High" by local band (and one of TC's faves), Pierce the Veil:

Lead singer Vic Fuentes and his brother Mike (the drummer) attended Clairemont (but graduated from Mission Bay HS).

Clairemont High School
4150 Ute St.
San Diego, CA 92117
(858) 273-0201

www.sandiegounified.org/schools/clairemont

The rummage sale was an unexpected bonus during our short trip to Clairemont High. The weather was a bit spotty that particular morning, on and off showers. The sun was still hiding by the time we left to head home...

No comments: