"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Santos Farms Market

Back to that market that Cathy and I passed by on our way to Caffe Calabria. It's on a small side street off Lincoln Street nestled between some newer condos and a pawn shop and laundromat.

We could not help but look at the arrow and signs...

More signs of their products:


We wanted to just take a quick peek and weren't sure what to expect.

Inside, fresh and neatly arranged produce. Fruits in the middle and vegetables along the wall. At the far end of the wall were many boxed and canned foodstuffs (Goya and Colombiana brand to name a few).

They also had cactus pears here, tomatillos, and persimmons.

There was a small freezer section and a long lonely aisle with drinks and sodas (Inka cola, Postobon and Materva).

At the front counter near the register were samples of chips and their house made salsa which they sell in a cold case. This salsa was on the "hot" side. I felt like such a wimp, but it made my mouth tingle! Cathy ended up buying a small container of their "medium" salsa.

The persimmons I bought for TC, one of her favorite fruits to bring as a school snack.

Both Cathy and I picked up a box of this Codfish Fritter Mix (only $1.87)! We couldn't believe how cheap it was.

You don't even need to buy bacalao for this, it's already included in the batter mix.

They're probably not good as my neighbor's homemade version but I still wanted to try it out. According to the reviews on yelp, this place has been in business for at least over 20 years and is run by Mr. Santos and his nephew. Next time I come, I will ask.  The produce is also from his farm, from what I read. I'll have to find out about the veracity of that statement as well. [Update - I was just there on Jan. 3rd, 2013 - the produce comes from farms from Northern California, so sadly, not local.]

Santos Farms Market
3019 Lincoln St.
San Diego, CA 92104
(619) 291-1635

There is no website but here are the reviews from yelp.

I was glad that we stopped by this market. The gentleman working there was so very nice and friendly. He greeted every customer that walked in.  The market may be small but it's clean. The produce was fresh and I liked how neatly how everything was arranged. The prices were also quite affordable, which was a plus. There were more Hispanic food items that I didn't name but will have to go back another time to try something new. One thing I will be back for is their salsa! Maybe not the super hot one though.

 It's always nice going to these neighborhood establishments rather than the big chain supermarkets. I'll support a mom and pop shop any day.

4 comments:

Cathy Doe said...

The 'medium' salsa had quite a kick too, but the first ingredient is tomatoes, which you can taste. I'll go back. It was a very nice 'neighborhood' market in the midst of all those modern buildings.

caninecologne said...

I'll have to try that salsa next time I'm in the area then. I haven't fried up that Bacalaito mix yet. I like how this store and the Pawn shop and laundromat didn't sell out to the condo owners.

Cathy Doe said...

Update: The "mild" salsa has a 'just enough' heat to it...it's not mild, but not like the hot one we tasted. The Mister and I parked on the same block you and I did and walked South then on University to get to Caffé Calabria- the neighborhood and the many restaurants we passed look extremely interesting.

caninecologne said...

Thanks Cathy - I'd rather get the mild than the hot. That way, I won't suffer for it. So funny that we had the same idea of going twice and cranked out our posts at the same time!