
We'd already been here earlier during our trip but now we were back to get some lunch and hopefully provisions for dinner...
Earlier, we were dejected at Foodland when there was no roast chicken available. To pass the time, we searched for a nearby place to have lunch.
Now, SoCal may have it's food trucks and Portland it's food carts, but in this part of town, they have "Chip Stands" or "Food Shacks".
We were curious about this one...

"We have GOT to eat here!" I begged Bert in the car...Even if it sucked, I wanted the chance to say, "Hey, I've eaten at Dewy's Redneck Grill"!

According to their facebook page,
"We are a chip stand in Mindemoya, Ontario offering a large menu including healthy choices and soft ice cream or ice cream treats. We have great food in large portions! Come see us in Mindemoya in the centre of Manitoulin Island!"

They even had these "commandments" by the order window. Very classy.
Their menu was pretty basic, but it was the headings that made me smile. Wet stuff? And by the way, a "pogo" is a hot dog on a stick. That's what they call it here. Not corn dogs, but pogo.

We ordered a grilled peppers wrap and a chicken breast sandwich along with a fruit punch slushy.

This was a flour tortilla wrapped around lettuce, grated cheese and grilled onions and peppers. I wanted something vegetarian. I didn't think this was a "big portion". The peppers were grilled quite nicely and had good flavor. The wrap was cold but the filling was warm. It would have been nice to have a warm wrap.

Bert's grilled chicken sandwich - this was a big disappointment. The price for this was outrageous, $6 or something like that. This was a smallish breast with mayo and a few slices of iceberg on an unremarkable bun. I guess we're used to having much better in SoCal, but for this price, we could have gotten two combos at In-n-Out or a decent fish taco combo at Rubio's and so on. Bleh. Flavorless this was.

I wasn't a fan of the grated cheese. I didn't want a burger or a hot dog, so I thought this would be the healthier alternative.

For dessert, we broke out one of the butter tart packages from Foodland. This is the Complements brand (from Canada).

These were cute, but didn't have that sugar crust that the tarts from Mum's had...

I liked the mini tarts better than the larger ones because there was more crust to filling ratio.

I still think about these tarts but I'm too lazy to make them. Maybe during the Thanksgiving break when I have more time on my hands, will I attempt to make these.
Unfortunately, upon our return to Foodland, the rotisserie chickens still weren't ready and we didn't want to wait any longer. We ended up buying some snacks, fruit, and ready made sub sandwiches and headed back to the farm...


2 comments:
I would TOTALLY eat at Dewy's Redneck Grill. Or at least, stand in front of the sign since the food wasn't that great. I also liked the header that said "other wet stuff that ain't fizzy". haha!
Man, I forgot to take a photo of myself by the sign! Or at least by the "commandments". Ha ha you noticed that too, on the menu!
Post a Comment