"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Return to Urban Solace

Wow, it's a miracle. I'm posting this on the same day we went!

Last December I bought several "DiscoverSD" coupons. The deal was $12 for $30 worth of food at Urban Solace. Some were given as Xmas gifts. I kept at least one for us...so that is where we went on this beautiful sunny Saturday. We scored great (and FREE and UNTIMED) parking a few blocks away.

Bert and I first went here several years ago for Valentine's Day. I've also gone here in the past with the Educator GF's and my SIL. This time, we had TC with us.

We had no reservations but there was still room inside at 11:45'ish. Right around noon, it was completely packed so we came at a good time.

The "Blunch" menu:

Bert got the Pineapple Delight - it was non alcoholic. It was either that or his new favorite, the local made Airdale Imperial Stout "Dark and Stormy". This fruity drink won out. The pineapple delight consisted of soda water, pineapple-yuzu syrup, fresh key lime, fresh cilantro with a salted rim. It was delicious and I wished there was more.

We also ordered a side of their "Famous Warm Cheese Biscuits with Orange-Honey Butterbiscuits" (that is the description from their menu). This was TC's favorite. The orange-honey butter melted fantastically on the crisp square crust as well as the light as air interior. Loved these. I could have just eaten these. Bert and I were saying that this meal kind of negated our morning "boot camp" work out (he went with me to the gym that morning)! But man, was it worth it!

TC's entree (description taken straight from their menu):  Niman Ranch Chuck, Aged White Cheddar, Smoked Tomato Jam, House Sauce, Bibb Lettuce, Egg Bun. She had it medium. She was only able to finish half. I would have done the same. The fries were the "Kennebec" fries - with skin on and with a nice crisp exterior. Quite delicious...

This was Bert's Monte Diego: Smoked Ham, Fontina Cheese, Grilled Pears, Marinated Onions, Custard Dipped Egg Bread. There was a little ramekin of raspberry jam as well. While he enjoyed it, he thought it was just "okay" and still likes the Monte Cristo version at the former Elario's in La Jolla the best.  The pear in the sandwich was sliced very thinly and was practically discernable.

This is my entree, which I originally wanted to split with Bert, except I couldn't eat another bite after finishing 1/2 of this, the Roasted Pork-Loin Sandwich, Caramelized Fennel, Arugula, Fontina Cheese, Whole Grain Mustard, Egg Bun.  The arugula was wilted. I liked the fennel but it didn't taste caramelized. The cheese was melted quite nicely over the pork which, thank goodness, wasn't a solid chunk, but shaved pieces of pork. Made it easier to eat. Not being a mustard fan, I wasn't sure if I'd like this, but the mustard flavor wasn't so strong and it went really well with the fennel and the pork.

Cool painted utility box right in from of True North, a restaurant right next to Urban Solace. Love the retro boom box and cassette tape design!

Stickers I saw on a street lamp on a side street a block away from Urban Solace...

A few stores down from the Linkery was this Appliance store that had new and vintage washing machines, dryers, and stoves. One of the workers saw me snapping this shot and invited me to come in and take more photos!

Mural on the side of the Linkery's wall. I haven't eaten at this new location - they used to be farther down on 30th but that old location is now Sea Rocket Bistro.

Another cool utility box on the street corner near the North Park parking structure...

Next up...dessert down the street.

Oh, you can also see my shadow there!

4 comments:

Mary said...

I bought one of those coupons last year, too, but I haven't used it yet. Those biscuits look so good, I will definitely have to try those when I finally go there!

caninecologne said...

hi mary - i have one more to use up. i gave away 3. i shoulda kept 'em all! kidding.

man, those biscuits WERE good! you have to try those for sure! i like their dinner items better. next time i come, it will be for dinner instead.

Little Miss Contrary said...

I did not have a good experience the last time I went to US. The biscuits are and their salted caramel pot de creme are good though :)

caninecologne said...

hi lmc - sorry that the experience wasn't so good. my husband would like that salted caramel pot de creme.