"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Friday, January 21, 2011

No really...What the Pho is coming!

Okay, remember this place? Located on the east side of Chula Vista on Broadway (between I St and Halsey) was the sadly neglected and now defunct Pho 888. I was in the area but because I was alone and didn't have my daughter do my "dirty" work for me (taking exterior shots from the moving car, heheh), I don't have a recent photo of this place to show you so here's one from October 2008.

Instead of an "open soon" sign, there was now a sign proclaiming, "What the Pho Coming Soon"! I nearly choked with laughter as I drove by. Dude, like "Pho King" on University Avenue, they should totally make shirts with their logo on it. I would totally wear that!

I hope this new place survives because prior to the place being Pho 888 (which sadly lasted not even a year), it was some Mediterranean place, a Mexican food joint and an Argentinian restaurant (Tango). Up the street there is also another Pho place, Pho Vinh which is next to the tattoo parlor and a sleazy Motel 7 that probably has 15 minute rates.

Unfortunately, today was my 2nd Gum Graft (lower left tooth) and my gums hurt like an MF. Again I wore my trusty iPod as the dentist and his assistant injected, incised, scraped, poked, sewed and suctioned my teeth/gums/mouth. I hope I don't have to go through this shit again.

Two weeks ago I listened to "Ferris Bueller's Day Off". Today, it was yet another Hughesian classic, "Sixteen Candles". The dentist was a lot faster today than two week ago. It only took him 35 minutes. The movie ended during the scene where Samantha Baker is in the auto shop room with Farmer Ted wishing her a "Happy Birthday".

Classic! Now let me get some of my Tylenol with codeine!

5 comments:

Darlene said...

I've seen Pho King on University too!

Hope you recover from your gum graft. I can't, and don't want to imagine what pain you're going through. Feel better soon!

Dennis K. said...

That's totally awesome you let your daughter take photos drive by style.. Pho Q. would be a funny one too, haha. ;)

caninecologne said...

hi darlene - i should just eat there (pho king) at least once! :)

re: gum graft - am doing okay. just a dull and aching throb now.the one from 2 weeks ago healed pretty well but i still can't brush over that area yet. great, so now i have 2 areas to avoid when brushing. ick.

hey dennis - yes, she did the pix for leocynn's lumpia and the himalayan place in la mesa for me. you know, there is probably a "PHO Q" out there somewhere. i'm surprised no one's done it yet in S.D.!that would be lolarious!

KirkK said...

Pho King has some good stuff, but not the Pho! Recently, a friend of mine looked at me a sincerely said, "you know, I miss Pho King....." And suddenly had the look one gets when they want to pull what they've just said back into their mouth. I immediately called her husband on my phone and told him, "buddy, I got some info for you....."

caninecologne said...

ha ha Kirk! good to know about the 'pho' at pho king. ironic isn't it.