"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Monday, January 03, 2011

Almost Bronx - Pizzeria Luigi's

Unfortunately, our virgin foray to Bronx Pizza was thwarted by the hellacious parking situation in Hillcrest. It was the usual, shitty and awful. We tried several blocks away and decided to forgo Bronx altogether. It was nearly 1:45 and the kids were hungry. Here's some cool street art on the corner of 11th and Broadway.

Instead, I made the executive decision  to go to Pizzeria Luigi's in Golden Hill, just 7 minutes away. On our way there, we passed by this cool house.

We parked about a block or two away to get in some more exercise in. The place was so busy with the line nearly out of the door.


TC and I saw by the front window the last time we were here. We ended up grabbing a picnic table out in the back patio.

Bert and I and the kids  checked out the choices...

OMFG! They have IT here!  The Airdaile"Dark and Stormy" Imperial Stout on tap! Only $4 too!

Bert got the beer but I also had a bit of it. It's pretty strong, but I really really like this flavor. A bit chocolatey with a coffee flavor to it...

We all got 2 slices each. There were two slices on a separate plate. In no particular order, we got cheese, cheese with sausage, the combo, ricotta and meatball and ricotta with mushroom.

These are my slices with the beer. I really love how they keep the ricotta in clumps.

TC's combo slices. She wanted the pieces with olives in them.

The nephews are normally not very adventurous, eating only cheese or cheese with pepperoni pizza. Having a slice with the sausage and meatball was "adventurous" for them. They do not like anything green on their pizza either. Boy #2 told his mom (my sis) that it was the "best pizza he ever had" except for the burnt crust. Well, the crust wasn't really burnt black, but I think they were not used to New York style thin crust.

They loved eating in the back patio because the decibel level was much lower and it wasn't so crowded. Some chick complimented me on my hairstyle too. Kind of ironic because my hair "style" is kinda grown out and was whipped by the wind that day. But hey, I'll take the compliment!

2 comments:

Michael said...

Love Luigi's style. torn though between the wave of NY pizza hitting town and the Filippis style I grew up with. I guess I will just have to continue to eat all of them...lol

caninecologne said...

hey there michael - i would take ny style over chicago style any day.