"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Music Listography #4 - List 20 Albums...

It's the first Music Listography post of 2011 and the 4th so far! (That is actually my hand holding my book!)

Here's the topic folks...(Paul Frank pj's - mine)

My rules were: no Soundtracks, no Compilations or Greatest Hits, no "doubles" (same band can't be listed twice), and no "live" albums (those could be separate categories on their own!).

In no particular order:

Van Halen - Van Halen
Rush - Moving Pictures
Duran Duran - Rio
The Police - Regatta de Blanc
AC/DC - Highway to Hell
Echo and the Bunnymen - Ocean Rain
Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz
Guns 'n Roses - Appetite for Destruction
The Pretenders - Pretenders
The Cure - The Head on the Door
The Smiths - The Queen is Dead
The Beatles - Revolver
Depeche Mode - Some Great Reward
Eric Johnson - Tones
Def Leppard - High 'n Dry
Boston - Boston
Queen - A Night at the Opera
Prince - 1999
Joe Satriani - Surfing with the Alien
U2 - The Unforgettable Fire

As you can see, I tend to favor a lot of rock (classic and hard rock) as well as early to mid 80's rock/new wave. My tastes haven't changed all that much either...

This post would have been longer had I posted the album covers plus my snarky and rambling commentary but I just wanted this to be quite "Wham Bam, Thank you Ma'am!"...

Got any fave albums you'd like to share if you were leaving earth on a spaceship? I'd really love to know!

*(David Bowie reference)

8 comments:

Michael said...

Dude..I want an autographed copy of that book!! Ok...wow, i really had to think about my 20 albums to stock my desert island with. so this is what I have come up with. You can see my tastes roll everywhere.
in no order I give you my picks.

1 Beach Boys pet sounds
2 Revolver - Beatles
3 London Calling - Clash
4 Kind of Blue -Miles Davis
5 Joshua Tree - U2
6 Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin
7 Ramones - Ramones
8 Horses - patti Smith
9 Never mind the Bullocks - Sex Pistols
10 dark Side of the moon - Pink Floyd
11 Live at Folsom prison - Mr. cash
12 This years model - Elvis C.
13 In the wee hours of the day - Mr. Sinatra
14 Hunky Dory - Bowie
15 The B52's - the B52's
16 Closer - Joy Division
17 moanin in the moonlight - Howlin Wolf
18 KISS alive - Kiss
19 So-Peter Gabriel
20 Art Pepper meets thee rhythm section - Art pepper


My god i am all over the place!!
from KISS to Joy Division....yikes!!

Mary said...

My list would be a bunch of indie stuff. Jake refers to it as "Mary's weird music". hahah.

caninecologne said...

hi michael - great choices (clash, led zep, bowie, joy division). i see we share 'revolver' too!

hi mary - cool, so what's your indie list then????

Mary said...

Okay, in no particular order:

1. "Wild Like Children", Tilly and the Wall
2. "Sigh No More", Mumford and Sons
3. "Heretic Pride, The Mountain Goats
4. "Skittish", Mike Doughty
5. "Pinkerton", Weezer
6. "Prolonging the Magic", Cake
7. "A Mark, a Mission, a Brand, a Scar", Dashboard Confessional
8. "The Crane Wife", The Decemberists
9. "Swagger", Flogging Molly
10. "Our Endless Numbered Days", Iron & Wine
11. "Automatic for the People", REM
12. James Taylor Live
13. Bryan Adams Unplugged
14. "Metallica" Metallica
15. "Rubber Soul" The Beatles
16. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers Greatest Hits (I couldn't pick on album)
17. "Graceland" Paul Simon
18. "Give Up" The Postal Service
19. "The Execution of All Things", Rilo Kiley
20. "Flood", They Might Be Giants

Mary said...

Some of it wasn't indie :)

caninecologne said...

omfg! you rock! thanks for sharing your 20 discs! love "Rubber Soul" too! and METALLICA! Man, I can't believe I forgot "Master of Puppets" for mine! or "Kill 'em All"! and Tom Petty too!!!!!

loved seeing your pix and Michael's! :)

KirkK said...

Desert island discs... I love it! FI've got several of these on my list as well.... though I prefer A Via Musicom beter than Tones. Did I ever tell you that I once saw a guitar clinic by Eric Johnson...... he's one interesting dude. He claimed that he could tell what kind of batteries being used in his pedals by the white noise!

caninecologne said...

hi kirk, so what's YOUR list eh? by the way, congrats on your first published food review in the sdreader! very nice!

DID's - i loved reading those in the old Pulse! magazine from Tower records.

re: Eric Johnson, i also like 'ah via musicom' but i like the mellowness of 'tones'. i saw eric johnson for that tour in 1990. it was either at the california theatre (now defunct) or the OAT. can't remember which.