
I'd seen it already a few days before but I wanted to snap more shots...

and take a closer look at the handiwork that went into this piece of public art...
The first thing that caught my attention a few days ago were the yarnbombed trees.

Then I noticed the railings for the stairwell also had knitted sleeves on them.

Yarnbombing is a type of street art where one uses colorful displays of yarn instead of paint or chalk. I remember seeing yarnbombed sign posts in Berkeley, San Francisco, and Portland, Oregon. More recently, I saw a yarnbombed bike sculpture in the South Park neighborhood.

Very cool and quirky indeed.
I took a quick look at the $1 books on the cart. Nothing there for me that day.

It was fun seeing all of the mismatched types of yarn decorating the railings.


I thought the tree looked so cute with it's own little "sweater".

Just next to the library is a little park where a cadre of moms with strollers watched their little ones play

More of the interesting yarn patterns. The rainbow one was actually a seaparate strip that was wrapped around the rail rather than being a tube that was stitched up at the seam...

It was neat seeing unexpected pops of color. I thought it was fitting to be near the neighborhood library, where naturally, residents would gather.

Here's the seam that's been stitched shut. Cathy schooled me on this knitting business, yo.

Another seam...

There's that rainbow strip again...

This one had a pattern on it. Perhaps an abandoned sweater idea?

Walking back to the car, we passed by the neighborhood video store. If you ever want any hard to find foreign or independent films (along with the current releases), Kensington Video is the place to go. If I lived in this neighborhood, I'd be here every week!

The video store is also next to the Ken Theatre, one of the last remaining single screen theaters in San Diego. Of course, they would be playing the cult classic "The Rocky Horror Picture Show"!

Along with the poster to "World War Z" was this Australian movie that we recently rented, "The Sapphires".

It won a standing ovation at its debut at the Cannes film festival last year. It was really quite enjoyable, especially if you like 60's soul music.
Here's there trailer:
Plus it has Chris O'Dowd, a really funny Irish actor. He was the dude who played Kristen Wiig's boyfriend in the godawful "Bridesmaids", Simon the DJ in "The Boat that Rocked" (also known as "Pirate Radio" in the U.S.), and most importantly, the voice of Dr. Cockroach in "Monsters vs. Aliens".
Kensington- Normal Heights Branch Public Library
4212 Adams Ave
San Diego, CA 92116
(619) 533-3974
www.sandiego.gov/public-library/locations
Kensington Video
4067 Adams Ave
(619) 854-7725
www.kenvideo.com
Landmark's Ken Cinema
4061 Adams Ave
(619) 283-3227
www.landmarktheatres.com
Articles about the Yarn Bombing at the Kensington Library:
The Official San Diego Proclamation - June 2013 - I thought this was so cool!
"San Diego public library celebrates International Yarn Bombing Day" - Scoop San Diego, June 2013
"Yarn Bomb at Kensington/Talmadge Library" - SD Reader, August 15, 2013
This little section of Adams Avenue has it all. Coffee shops, a library, a park, a video store and art house theatre, a pizza place, Mexican food and even a French restaurant. When can I move here?
After our quick jaunt to admire the yarnbombed library, we headed north to Grantville in search of our latest pastry obession...


2 comments:
Thanks for taking me to see this extensive yarn bombing. Just a minute of a walk and there it was!
Hi Cathy, I thought you would appreciate it since you know how to knit and all. thanks for showing me all the different subtleties of the patterns and how they sew up the "sleeves".
it's so cool seeing something like this in a neighborhood. if anything, kensington is the perfect place for a yarbombed library.
Post a Comment