
"Three Heads Six Arms" is on loan from China until next year. The sculpture weighs 15 tons and is about 26 feet high.

"Zhang, an internationally renowned Chinese contemporary artist, said Three Heads Six Arms was inspired by the fragments of Buddhist figures that he discovered at a market in Tibet. They’d been damaged during China’s 1966-1976 Cultural Revolution, when anyone and anything linked to religion, intellectualism, materialism and tradition was attacked and condemned. Thus Three Heads Six Arms is also incomplete, missing body parts from the midriff down."
(info from about.com article at the end of this post)

I thought the sculpture was a bit intimidating and over the top. It's very imposing and the statue's closed eyes gave it an eery feel. There so many details to look at too. It certainly made people pause and stare at it. Many, including myself, took photos.



Next to the statue was an enclosed playground with this warning directed towards pedos. Not sure how effective this is but I would sure feel creeped out if I was here with TC and saw a lone man just sitting on a bench and watching. Death to all Pedos and I really mean that. If I had my way, they would all be shot into a mass grave.

TC on a tire swing...

After a few minutes, I got kinda dizzy! (Notice, no pedos on the benches)

City Hall and the Civic Center Plaza:

Here's a few articles about this gigantor piece of art:
World Premiere in San Francisco by Chinese Artist Zhang Huan by Barbara Koh for about.com
and
"Newsom Dedicates Three Heads Six Arms Statue" from the SF Examiner.com
Here's a cool video about the sculpture:
This was quite amazing to see in real life! Check it out next time you're in SF!
What's next? Heading to the Mission District and gettin' some ice cream!


No comments:
Post a Comment