"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Saturday, November 06, 2010

Daphne's Greek Cuisine

[Marathon post alert! Scroll down for the latest 5 posts!]

Last week we finally had the chance to go to Daphne's Greek Cafe in the Eastlake Target shopping center. TC had a free meal given to her after she earned an award at school. Bert and I had a coupon (hell yeah man) - buy one entree get one free, so we took advantage.

I'm not into Greek food too much but gave it a shot. We did go to Zorba's earlier this summer and I liked that. Especially their flaky spanakopita.

TC got a Chicken Pita plate with rice and a side of Tzatziki sauce with a drink. Hmmmm, those fillings seem kind of sparse to me.

I got a Pita burger (yeah, that's really Greek isn't it...) with a side of rice and salad and that same sauce. I ended up giving some of my salad to TC so she could have greens. I ended up giving the other half to Bert because I didn't like that the salad already had dressing on it as well a feta cheese which I do not like. I liked the burger which was nicely seasoned and quite juicy but ended up eating mostly the meat and not the pita. It was kinda too doughey for me.

Bert was nice enough to let me have his roasted vegetables (carrots, green beans). He got the Gyro combo with salad. The vegetables were really good!

So all in all, we only paid for one meal (the combo), so yay! I don't think I'd go here again since I'm not into most of their offerings. TC's school used to give free meals to Islands (also in the same shopping area) for student awards. The only thing with Islands was that the meal was free if an adult paid for an entree. But then they switched over to Daphne's pogs which offered the kids a free meal with no obligation for an adult to buy anything. Either way, an adult (one or both of us) would be accompanying our kid to the restaurant so it didn't really make a difference.

After dinner we went to Target so I could finish Christmas shopping.The day before, I went out with Divalicious and we took advantage of the sales at Aztec Stores at SDSU - 75% selected shirts. So, I'm pretty much done. I'm so anal but hey, I won't be stressing out later since I'm pretty much done. I usually get 90% of my shopping done before the end of October. My next goal is to have our Xmas cards done in the next two weeks with the intent to mail it at the end of November. I like being first. What can I say...heh heh.

2 comments:

J said...

I'm not a huge fan of Daphne's, but once in awhile we go there. I get their vegetarian platter, which has spanikopita, hummus, eggplant, and dolmas. It also comes with falafal, which I don't care for, so I ask them to sub more dolmas. Mmmm. It also has salad, which I'll eat, but I don't like the dressing much either.

My husband sometimes gets the kabobs, which he likes. All in all, not our very favorite place, but good for a certain mood. The lemon soup is very nice. :)

caninecologne said...

hi j - thanks for visiting!

yeah, i'm not into daphne's at all. their pita is so thick and doughey. maybe i'll try the vegetarian platter next time...my daughter loves dolmas so that might be a good choice! :)