"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Friday, November 12, 2010

SF Asian Art Museum - Part 1

I was excited to check out the Asian Art Museum. We came on a good day too - Free thanks to Target (see the red banner on the building).

This event was right up my alley...Lots of things to see, do and experience!

I won't write too much. I'll let the photos speak for themselves. Plus, I am feeling kinda lazy, so that's the other reason! He he.

This was pretty cool - I caught a bit of the demo later that morning...

Tattoo area.

The tattoo artists. I'm too much of a pussy to have my skin marked up but I think some tattoo designs are pretty badazz!

More artists and their talents on display. I met Christian Cabuay and had a nice chat with him about his Baybayin worksheets. Today, I used them to help teach that writing system to my colleague's advanced Filipino language class. I learned this back in '95 so I already knew how to write it, but having the worksheets and breaking the writing system down into a series of 4 key strokes make it a lot easier. For more info about Baybayin, the pre-Hispanic Philippine writing system, check out his blog at Baybayin.com.

Christian's table and some of his artowrk featuring his baybayin writing style with a paintbrush (painting on easel).

Closeup of one of his paintings featured on a recently published book, "Diwata" by Barbara Jane Pulmano Reyes.

Exhibit on Kite making:


Back to the Baybayin table where Christian and his wife were setting up for the craft activity where anyone could make buttons/pins using Baybayin designs or their own designs. There were pre-cut circles plus pens to draw with. There were several helpers who made laminated buttons for the kids (and several parents). TC had fun making hers.

This was just the bottom floor. There were other rooms where they had films going on as well as public speakers. I actually bumped into a friend from a sister organization (Filipino American National Historical Society) and met a few other members of the San Francisco Chapter.

Next up - a quick view of the Philippine artworks in the museum.

No comments: