"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine's dinner and desserts

Bert and I didn't go out to dinner for Valentine's. It's so overrated and overpriced. Plus, it was a work night and school night (for TC).  I didn't make dessert either. Instead I made dinner and picked up some desserts at Hans and Harry in Bonita. Man, everyone and their mother was there that day! The line was so damn long! Lots of people getting last minute shit like me! On my way out, I bumped into one of my friends, the Sexy Nurse.

Their cases were getting more sparse by the minute...there was another case that had fancier desserts. These were just cookies, croissants and brownies.

This case held their famous fruit topped strudels. I took this on the sly so it's blurry. Sorry, eh!

I picked up three different desserts. I bought a rose for TC from a student for a fundraiser.

Ooh, here they are (to be seen later on our nice China).

Ha ha, look at the card that Bert got me. The inside says, "You only love me for my body"! Normally he gets me a really sweet and sentimental card. This was a funny first. Next to that is the card that TC made for us. We still loved it! Glitter is awesome! Plus, look at how she spelled the month! I appreciate that she makes us handmade cards too.

Valentine's is one of the rare times that I wear color. In this case, this is my only red top. It's more like a deep red not a cherry red. I tend to wear a lot of black. And by a lot, I mean pretty much every damn day.

Outfit details:
Top - Cap sleeve cowl neck top by Banana Republic (it's about 3 years old)
Necklace - Heart/arrow blingy necklace from American Eagle ($3 clearance!)
*Pink glitter puffy sticker taken from a box of chocolates given to us (the counselors) at work.
Belt - Thin red leather belt with metal hexagonal studs (don't remember the brand but I love it and call it my Judas Priest's heavy metal belt!).
Pants - Dark grey 323 style (renamed as "Sloan")/fitted flares by Banana Republic.
Heels: Dark red reptile print open toes by Nine West.
Nail polish - Strong by Chanel (gift from SIL). Not shown were my handmade heart earrings.

After this photo was taken, I changed into my normal house clothes. Jeans and a t-shirt (in this case, Duran Duran's Rio album cover).

I never started wearing red high heels until a couple of years ago. I found that red shoes made my outfits pop (or patterned shoes for that matter). Plus red is hot especially when everything else is black or dark grey. Thank goodness you can't see my toenails!!!!

Bert surprised me because he made dark chocolate dipped strawberries!!! This was waiting for me when I got home that afternoon. There was a post it on the counter telling me that he made something. Awwww.  He took the time to melt a gigantor dark chocolate bar and used it to dip the fruit. They came out pretty well. I think he did a good job! This is my husband we're talking about. The one that doesn't cook or make stuff. So this was a very very nice surprise!

Dinner was simple. We had the seasoned Wild Alaskan salmon from Costco and baked that up. The starches were roasted potatoes (hence the sour cream that you see on TC's plate) and white rice. The vegetable sides were steamed broccoli and corn (canned!). Those roses were cut down from earlier. They were the ones I bought from the student (one for Bert and one for TC). Bert also surprised me at work by dropping off a vase with a dozen red roses for me. I actually saw him as I was walking near my office! Again, another really nice surprise!

Our dinner was served on our wedding china and the mini crystal vase was recently unearthed from one of our kitchen cabinets. Everything looked pretty nice except for the classy paper napkins. Ooops. Should've broke out with the cloth ones!

Oh yeah, we also opened a bottle of white wine for us and a bottle of soda for TC (which we put in a stemmed glass so it was "fancy").

Here's a better look at the desserts I picked up from Hans and Harry's. This is the chocolate dipped pecan slice. There's a tiny red sprinkle on there! I loved loved loved the chocolate crust! The filling was also excellent with lots of sweet and crunchy pecans throughout. We had a few bites of each dessert and saved the rest for the next day.

Since TC and Bert like citrus flavored desserts, I also selected this Key Lime slice. Plus, I liked how the white chocolate bit there had  red hearts. The cake was light and fluffy! Too sour for me though but they loved it.

Lastly, here is a dessert I've had before and enjoyed, the Dobre Tort. Look at those layers! Out of the three, this was my second favorite with the pecan being tops for me.

Hope everyone's VDay was memorable and fun!

4 comments:

Mary said...

How sweet you got chocolate covered strawberries! And the handmade card is totally cute. I used to make handmade cards, too, and now I'm just lazy. Oh well. Hope you had a lovely Vday!

Anonymous said...

I love your recap of your Valentine's Day. I never go out anymore either. So overpriced and overcrowded everywhere. What a great surprise that you got chocolate covered strawberries! I like how you showed us your outfit and where you got everything from!

Darlene said...

You look awesome in red! And what a nice way to spend Valentine's day. We spent it at home too -- just the way we like it.

BTW: Did you tell TC the rose was from Justin Bieber??

caninecologne said...

hi mary - that was such a shock! i love all the handmade cards tc makes me. i also used to do cards as a hobby (free paint sample squares at home depot and lowe's are great!!!!) but i got lazy as well. you're not alone!

vday was nice and low key.

hi kirbie - thanks! not terribly exciting or romantic but just right - spent with the husband and kid at home. i thought it was quite nice that bert took the time to make the strawberries - he said he burnt the first batch of chocolate. my clothes are a mix and match of old and new. today i wore black and purple. :)

hi darlene - thanx! i had to wear red for my bro's wedding. the bridesmaid dress was awful. i got rid of it already. :) glad you and paul had a nice vday!

ha ha - JB! she wishes. there is a bit in the movie where a random girl in the crowd is selected to go on stage and sit on a stool while he sings to her. the song is, 'another lonely girl' and he croons and hovers over the girl and hands her a huge bouquet of roses. the tween chicks are all swoony, hyperventilating and in hysterical tears.