"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Friday, February 18, 2011

Xooro

[Closed  as of this year, 2012, and newly reopened as another dessert place]

After our lunch at Eddie's, we headed over to Mission Valley mall, taking the surface streets so I could avoid the freeway. This is the corner of Utah and University. See that pink sign? It's that POLE FITNESS place I mentioned last month. Strippers have to be fit too you know.

Corner of Texas and University. We hung a right on Texas to get to Mission Valley.

After doing a few errands at the Mission Valley mall, I spied this new store, Xooro Spanish Delights Cafe. Xooro ispronounced "shoo-roh" and uses an "X' so it looks like a Northern Spanish word but probably isn't. This place is across from Icing (the accessories store) and in the same wing of the mall near Sports Chalet. I made a mental note to check it out after our foray into Target.

It was very sterile, sparse, and hip. Seems like every place now has a plasma screen with the menu.

The main reason we went here was curiosity and also because I wanted to blog it.

The risk with that was not knowing their prices but I figured, why not for today.

We looked at the different choices in the display case (not shown) and picked one that we knew Bert would like, the Peanut Butter Xooro (which hereafter will be referred to as a "churro"). This plain churro is $3.40. The frosted and flavored ones are $4.40 like this one.

The churros are not as long as the box. Oh yeah, I'm sure the box is included in the price. I didn't expect a box, cool though it was. I thought it was a massive waste of material. (Note: Mini Union Jack purse is TC's, purchased at the Shakespeare's Corner Shoppe several years ago as a gift for her)

The churro was thick and drizzled with peanut butter frosting and chocolate glaze. The filling was obviously peanut butter. There was a bit of heft to this churro as well.

Who else ate at Churro's?

Cathy Tran of Oh So Yummy went here back in June 2010

CC household Verdict:
Me - I don't want to sound like a cheapass, but I thought it was overpriced and overly sweet. And like the reviewer above, was kind of disappointed that these weren't made "fresh" to order. You get what's in the display case and who knows how long that shit has been laying in there. Plus if you like your churros warm/hot, your churro won't get that treatment here. You get 'em cold. I actually like my desserts cold so that wasn't an issue with me.

TC - "It was good. There was lots of frosting on it. (she's easy to please) But it was kind of brittle and didn't taste like a nice, hot churro."

Bert - He liked the filling the best. He's just a "peanut butter" kind of guy. Perhaps they could have crisped this up some way. He said, "When they're cold they taste more stale and heavier".

There are two locations of Xooro as I found out when checking this place online, Mission Valley Mall and Plaza Bonita. Not sure that I'll be returning but I wanted to try this at least once.

Update - This place is now CLOSED as of 7/2012. It may have been closed earlier but that's when I noticed it was gone.

No comments: