"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Friday, February 11, 2011

Pop Culture Quotes

Okay, so in our household, we use a lot of quotes from the movies. Even before TC was born, Bert and I would have our own inside jokes. Most of them vulgar and crude. Thanks to me.

After TC was born, I had to repress my natural urges to blurt out what I feel are hilariously fkg funny quotes so as not to "sully" her ears with garbage. That basically meant no quotes from Eddie Murphy's "Comedian" or "Raw" or anything from a Quentin Tarantino movie or from "Scarface".

We had to sanitize or at least use other quotes for maximum effect. Some of them she gets because she's seen the movies and now understands what we mean instead of thinking that her parents are the wierdest in the world. But most of the time, the jokes go over her head.

Here's a sampling of some of these little quotes.

"Hurry along now Sloan" from "Ferris Bueller's Day Off"
We say this to TC when we are waiting for her to get ready and she's taking a super longa$$ time. It's from the scene where Ferris Bueller is disguised as Sloan's father when he picks her up from school.
"What country do you think this is?" Said by shady parking lot attendant.


"No more rhymes now, and I mean it!" from "The Princess Bride" (OMFG, that WHOLE movie is quotable)
and "And if I'm wrong...and I am never wrong..." (same movie, said by the Prince)
I say this a lot!

"Did someone just float an air biscuit?" from "Wierd Science"
and "The Fart Game...you'll play it one day son!" from Eddie Murphy's "Comedian"
Said when someone in the house lets one loose.

"Oh Dong? Dong! Where is my automobile?" from "Sixteen Candles"
Said when we're looking for something and can't find it.

"I'd like to say thank you on behalf of the group and ourselves and I hope we passed the audition..." (say this in a Scouse accent) - taken from John Lennon's words after performing "Get Back" on the rooftops...
Said sometimes when TC practices the piano.

"He's very clean" from the Beatles' "Hard Day's Night"
Said randomly for the fun of it.

"(Sigh) I'm really kinda busy Rat" from "Fast Times at Ridgemont High. This is the scene where Damone is annoyed because Mark Ratner calls him during his date and asks him to bring his wallet which he forgot at home.
and let's not forget, "Two cokes please" from the same movie and scene.


Of course, there are the Star Wars quotes and our feeble attempts at Yodaspeak but there are too many to name right now. That will have to be another post.

Yes, we are geeks.

My daughter included.

And I say that proudly!

No comments: