We wanted to try two different places for lunch today. They were located in this tiny little strip mall on Bonita Road (just south of the McDonald's and Romesco's). I hadn't been here in awhile. The Postal Annex is now gone and same with the tailor I used to go to.

The first place I wanted to try was Maye's Empanadas - they've been here for nearly a year (since last April) and my sis really likes this place. Our plan was to get just one empnada each then head over to the TJ Oyster Bar a few doors down for some .99 fish tacos.

It's really small in here. There is one large round table that seats four and one bar heigh table with two chairs. The case on the left holds the savory empanadas while the one on the right holds the sweet ones. Empanadas are $2 each. You pick the ones you want and they heat it up for you.

Lots of different choices...

They also do cakes here but we just wanted the empanadas...

What to choose...

So we got one each. The empanadas are baked, not fried with a nice flaky crust, the way I like it.

I got the shrimp...(so good!!!!)

TC got the Hawaiian ribs which she really enjoyed...

Bert got the New York Sausage with peppers...

The service was kind of slow here but the folks working here were super nice, asking us which we liked the best.

The takeout menu they gave us had a coupon so I decided to use it today. Buy 5 empanadas and get 1 free. Here were our choices which we ate later today for dinner...

I really liked the shrimp which is why I got it again. That's being saved for another day. The BBQ ribs weren't that great and neither was the fish taco. Bert liked the Carne con Chile while I scarfed downt he rajas con queso. The Philly Cheesesteak was saved for TC. It wasn't as good as Eddie's but these savory pastries were quite tasty.
Hmmm, I can make some of this stuff myself but instead of the flaky crust, I'd cheat and use puff pastry squares. Hell, you can put anything in a pastry sheet and it would taste good. They had pot roast, beef stew, chicken parmesan, etc. As for me, I've done spicy pulled pork, beef piccadillo, and blueberry creamcheese (not together of course). My next experiment will be flaked chicken or pork adobo.
Anyhow, It was worth a try plus I wanted to see what my sis was raving about.
This was just the appetizer. Up next, part two of lunch.


No comments:
Post a Comment