"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Monday, February 21, 2011

Return to Urban Solace again!

Taking advantage of both of us being off, we headed out to lunch after dropping off TC at my mom's and after our brief visit to the new Seafood City.

Here I am near the Linkery mural (seen in last month's Urban Solace post). Even though it was sunny, it was still kind of chilly but not that cold that I would need a heavy jacket.

Yay! My hair is getting longer in the back!
Gray v-neck cheapy sweater from Forever 21. Bought 5 years ago for my pseudo-Hogwarts/Slytherin costume.
Purple t-shirt from Nordstrom Rack ($7/old)
Brushed metal buckle/black leather belt - from the Men's section at Banana Republic. I like how butch it looks. It's my favorite belt. Women's belts are thin and weak looking. This one kicks @$$.
Jeans - Lexi-style Seven for All Mankind/petite (Used a $60 gift card from Anthropologie two years ago for this and I still had to pay extra). I'm definitely NOT petite, but the inseam was perfect since normal Seven's inseams are 33 and these were 31. No need to hem them and pay extra.
Socks (not shown): Purple paisly from Target. An homage to Donny Osmond and Prince if you will.
Shoes (not shown): Black Converse One-Stars (I bought the child's size 6 at Target so it was $10 cheaper than if I bought the equivalent adult size)

I had another one of my Urban Solace coupons from Discover San Diego so that's where we went today. We were originally going to go to Toast Enotoca wine bar downtown in the East Village but since today is considered a "holiday", the coupon was not valid. So fk that right....

Since it was nice out, we sat in the side patio. That's a space heater you see in the bottom right corner. Love the iron scroll work on the balcony here.

Mural  in the outdoor patio...

Even though today was Monda, they were surving "Blunch":

I got the Juicy Apple (see above for description) non-alcoholic cocktail. It tasted more of orange than of apple but I liked it. Bert got his new favorite, the local made Airedale Imperial Stout "Dark and Stormy".

For starters, we got the warm cheese and chive biscuits with orange honey butter.

They were perfectly flaky and the butter melted so easily. These are our favorite biscuits.

Bert got what I had last time while I got a burger.

Bert's entree - The Roasted pork sandwich (see menu above) which he thoroughly enjoyed. So much so that he finished it. The sandwich that is, not the fries. Is it just me, but I could have sworn they used to serve sweet potato fries as sides but now they are regular. Hmmm, I'll have to check my archives.

I got the Niman Ranch Chuck burger done medium. That's a pretty tall burger!

Inside was Bibb lettuce, house sauce, aged white cheddar, tomato jam, then the add-ins were at the bottom. You can see the avocado peeking out.

I ended up not eating the bread and concentrated on the patty. Turns out that the patty was so thick that the inside was too raw. I didn't even think of sending it back because by that time, I'd already eaten around it. The one thing I liked the most about this burger were the strips of bacon. These were nice and meaty thick strips with hardly any fat. The bacon was also glazed with sugar and sprinkled with cracked black pepper. OMFG, it was like MEAT CANDY. The tomato jam was interesting but I ate most of the filling and the outer edges of the burger. If they could just make a bacon and avocado burger, I would gladly eat that.

Another rare lunch date "alone" with Bert.

Believe it or not, we skipped out on dessert today. Even though Heaven Sent is just a few steps down, we refrained. Instead, I wanted to check out a record store across the street, Off the Record. I have fond memories of the El Cajon/College Drive location during my college days. They closed and relocated to Hillcrest but I think that one closed as well.

5 comments:

Darlene said...

I still need to use my Groupon for Urban Solace before it expires in May.

Good to know the burger patty is thick. I think I'm growing an aversion to thick patties because they tend to be too raw in the middle for me and not seasoned. I have an aversion to eating too many carbs too! Maybe when I finally use the Groupon, I'll stick to what Bert got.

caninecologne said...

hi darlene - yeah, that's why we used that coupon - i heard about the deal from you - it was discoversandiego.

well, i didn't really like that thick patty because of the raw middle. so gross! ewwww!

Mary said...

Hah, I still need to use my coupon too! I've been to North Park so much lately for eating but still haven't gone. I think the biscuits are calling to me...

caninecologne said...

hi mary - yes!!! get the biscuits! so good!

bert wolfe said...

@Darlene & @Mary, if you're into beer, try the Airdale Dark and Stormy. It's now one of my faves. It went great with my meal.