With the Yoda reference now out of the way, I bring back Music Listography as a bloggy sorbet from my Day 3 posts which I've been steadily pumping out much like the Duggar woman does with babies or those tennis ball shooting machines. Same thing.

Each category is a post waiting to happen...

And voila....here's the subject! [I just realized I wrote the wrong Donny Osmond album, oops]

List the First Albums You Ever Owned
(I added a couple more entries after I took this photo and I've rearranged them in choronological order because I'm anal like that)
"Too Young" by Donny Osmond. Although the album came out in 1972, my parents bought it for me in 1976. The album also contains the song, "Puppy Love" which I erroneously wrote in my book. The album image below is in Spanish. The English version photo keeps getting x'd out when I post it. :(
I mean, c'mon, what young girl back then didn't like Donny Osmond? He was the the Justin Bieber of the 70's but squeakier clean! Ha ha. I think this album had the song "Puppy Love". OMFG, I just outed myself as a (former) Donny Osmond fan. And yes, I wore purple socks in 2nd grade because of Donny.

(in searching for images of purple socks, this photo was taken from a blogpost that also referenced Donny Osmond!)
"Live at Budokan" by Cheap Trick (The album was released in 1978 but I bought it in a classroom auction. Even though it was scratched like fk, my best friend N and I wore the grooves out on this thing!)

Plus, Robin Zander was a total FOX! "I Want You to Want Me!". This is absolutely one of my favorite albums of all time!
"Off the Wall" (1979) by Michael Jackson

I got this for Christmas '79. I have a photo of me wearing a striped velour sweater and red baggy stringtie pants holding this album. Notice that's not posted here, heh.
"Beauty and the Beat" (1981) by The Go Go's
I got this record as a Christmas gift from my godbrother. He was so happy to pick it out for me since he knew that I loved music and not socks or underwear. Ha ha. The record came in an LP shaped giftbox from Licorice Pizza! I think I played this record to death as well. Their signature song, "We Got the Beat" was famously featured as the first song in 1981's classic teen flick "Fast Times at Ridgemont High".

"Pyromania" (1983) by Def Leppard

Besides having a cool album cover (design by the famous Hipgnosis), the album was engineered by the ex Mr. Shania Twain, Robert John "Mutt" Lange, who earlier produced AC/DC's blockbuster comeback album, "Back in Black" (1980). Their songs and videos for "Photograph", "Rock! Rock! 'Til You Drop!" and "Rock of Ages" were on heavy rotation on KGB 101.5, KPRI 106.5 and on MTV. I begged my mom to get me the sleeveless Union Jack shirt (which I still have)! Every song on this album is great!
"Declaration" (1984) by The Alarm

I bought this album with junior high graduation gift money in 1984. The Alarm were an up and coming band and billed derisively as "U2 Jr.", which I disagreed with. Their sound was quite cool - acoustic folk punk. Their songs were also political, "Marching On" and "Sixty-Eight Guns". My personal favorite was the melancholy song, "The Deceiver".
"Shout at the Devil" (1984) by Motley Crue

Another band that I was into back then. I totally dug their makeup (although it had been done years before during the 70's glam rock years and famously with Kiss) and of course, their music. "Too Young to Fall in Love", their killer cover of the Beatles' "Helter Skelter", and my signature song, "Looks that Kill"! Who knew that Nikki Sixx would end up dating Vanity (from Vanity 6) and is now engaged to that LA Ink Chick? Vince Neil (who I had a crush on) - wtf happened! Ugh! Tommy Lee? Let's not even go there!
Any readers care to share the first albums you ever owned? C'mon, don't be shy...


5 comments:
I don't remember my first 5 exactly, but I think it was something like:
"Bad" Michael Jackson (this was my 1st - on tape), Bobby Brown... I don't remember the album name... "Hangin' Tough" by NKOTB... and then I don't remember after that! I do remember my first "CD" was the single "Summertime" by DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince. Yeahhhh, 80s!
Mine (All on cassette):
Johnny Cash Greatest Hits
Peter Gabriel: So
The Karate Kid 2 soundtrack
Fat Boys: Big and Beautiful
Weird Al Yankovic: Dare to be Stupid.
I swear to God my taste has improved.
hi mary - omfg, i forgot about cassette. that could be another post entirely (black sabbath, boston, def leppard, the police and devo). shit!
thanks for sharing yours! i love it - NKOTB!!!!! bobby brown played at our gradnite (87) - he was fresh out of new edition! 'bad' was also a good album!
hi stephen! thanks for sharing yours. i was getting a bit dejected because there wasn't anyone brave enough to share or perhaps no one else gave a shit to respond. so thank you.
i like peter gabriel and ooh, the karate kid 2 - you bought it for 'glory of love' right? :)
i have a few fat boys songs in my ipod - no shame in that! and i actually have SEVERAL wierd al albums! (hangs head in shame)!
I never bought records, only tapes, but I do remember that first CD! I got a boom box when I was like 11 or 12 and was obsessed with making mix tapes after that. Hah! I mostly bought tape singles and not whole albums, or just tried to record things off the radio. I think one of my first was also Paula Abdul...
hi mary - i loved making mix tapes!!!!! that was an artform in itself!
Post a Comment