"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Soup's on...

Hot off the stove...

One of my favorite homestyle dishes which is so easy to make.

I made a quick jaunt to Seafood City this morning because I had a craving for Sili leaves (pepper leaves) which are perfect for this soup.

Tinolang Manok sa Dahong Sili

Ingredients:

1 2-3 lb chicken (or 3 lbs of chicken parts of your choice) I ended up using the leftover shredded chicken from the other night
1 small onion - thinly sliced
ginger - sliced into rounds (I used 4-5 pieces)
water  - enough to cover the chicken
patis (fish sauce) - to taste
black pepper  - to taste
chayote - peeled, seeded and cubed (you can also use green papaya)
sili leaves  (you can also use malunggay leaves or spinach leaves)

**I used a brown onion. Some recipes call for red. I personally like brown. I noticed some recipes I saw online called for garlic. My mom doesn't put garlic in her tinola so therefore I don't either. It's all a matter of personal preference. Play around with it. If you like it, add it in.
Directions:
  • Heat 2 - 3 teaspoons of oil
  • Brown the chicken (in my case, the chicken was already cooked and shredded so I didn't have to brown it)
  • Saute the onion and ginger until wilted and fragrant
  • Add the water (because I didn't have a lot of chicken to begin with, I added some Knorr roasted chicken base), patis, black pepper and bring to a boil.
  • Reduce and simmer for 25-30 minutes (skim off any scum)
  • Add the cubed chayote and simmer for 5 - 10 minutes
  • Remove from heat and add the sili leaves
  • Serve hot with white rice
This is my one of my favorite soups to make and to eat. It's especially good on a cold day. Even though today was quite warm, I still wanted to make it.

I picked the leaves off the stalks by hand from the sili leaves package. They also had malunggay leaves but I like sili much better. The malunggay leaves are smaller and have a different taste. Some of the pepper plant stalks had chili peppers attached so I added those in as well.

Bert really enjoyed the soup for dinner earlier tonight. I think this would have been better had I used whole bone-in chicken parts but I didn't want the rest of the rotisserie chicken to go to waste. It was still good. I used the breast for my pancit bihon (I also made another batch today)

Here are some other versions of this soup:

Market Manila (uses green papaya and malunggay leaves)
KainPinoy (uses red onion, malunggay leaves and black peppercorns)
PinoyRecipe.net (uses tomatoes and garlic)

Filipino comfort food - quick and easy.

8 comments:

CAB said...

The soup sounds and looks so comforting!

caninecologne said...

hi c - it's ridiculously easy. it smells good too!

Wandering Chopsticks said...

That's new to me. I had no idea pepper leaves were edible!

caninecologne said...

hi wc - yes, they taste really good in this ginger based soup. the leaves have that slight peppery kick to them.

Wandering Chopsticks said...

So while on the phone with my mom today, I asked if she knew that chile pepper leaves were edible. Of course she did. She even gave me a recipe that's somewhat similar. Basically, she said it's a peasant soup gathered from whatever leafy things are growing in the garden.

caninecologne said...

hi wc - very nice! so, do you plan to share the recipe one day on your blog? i'd love to try that sometime. :)

Wandering Chopsticks said...

Sure. Although, it's pretty much what you did. I used mince shrimp, loofah, leaves from bitter melon, yam, chile pepper, amaranth, malabar spinach, and squash blossoms.

caninecologne said...

hi wc - cool! in tagalog, we call the loofah, 'opo' squash, the malabar leaves are known as 'alugbati', the bittermelon is 'ampalaya' (i LOVE LOVE LOVE the bittermelon leaves in soup, especially with corn and shrimp), and the amaranth is 'culitis'. your soup has so many of my favorite flavors/ingredients. my mom has never cooked squash blossoms before.


i would love to make a version of this using as many of those ingredients as possible. it sounds so hearty and healthy (will all those leafy vegetables). thanks wc!