"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Popcorn Fail

Ohhh yeah...back when Bobby Brown wasn't a wifebeatin' druggie...before Bell Biv Devoe!

I always liked Ralph Tresvant myself...Gotta love those 80's outfits too!

 
Anyhow, I wish I could say that my first attempt in making homemade kettlecorn was a success. It was mainly a big old FAIL with a capital "F". My co-worker made some kettle corn for us the other day and we scarfed that down like there was no tomorrow.

 
Here's the basic ingredients:

Homemade Kettlecorn
(recipe from my co-worker)

 
Ingredients:
1/4 cup oil
1/3 cup sugar
pinch of salt
1/2 cup of popcorn kernels

Directions:
  • Heat up the oil in a deep pot
  • Add the popcorn kernels
  • Add the sugar and salt and mix thoroughly
  • Close the lid and let it "pop" on medium high
  • When the popping slows down (should be a few minutes), open the lid

 Note to self - I need to upgrade my pots. It was really hard for me to tell when the popcorn was done since the lid wasn't glass.


 I think my mistakes were:
  • Not mixing the sugar and salt well enough. I actually mixed it ahead of time in a small cup, then poured it in.
  • I also used Trader Joe's Pink Himalayan sea salt instead of the regular white salt. I think I put way too much salt as well.
  • Not mixing the sugar and salt made it clumpy and some kernels weren't as coated as well as others. Some pieces were quite burnt.
  • Because I was a worrywart thinking that it was going to burn, I didn't let it cook long enough, so there were a quite a few unpopper kernels.


Bert was kind enough to pour it out for me. I was traumatized when I opened the lid too early and a burning hot kernel flew out and singed my arm. Ouch!

Next time, I will not use as much salt and mix it more thoroughly before closing the lid. Bert said it looked more like caramel corn. The totally burnt pieces didn't taste too bad - it's like burnt sugar, but it looked kind of ugly. Until the next attempt!

2 comments:

CAB said...

I love kettle corn but never made it myself. I just get Orville's. Much easier that way. I can't seem to pop corn correctly on the stovetop for some reason.

caninecologne said...

my first and so far, only attempt sucked. will have to try again. my friends was nice, light, fluffy and not burnt!