"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Saturday, October 29, 2011

The fruits of child labor...

Ah yes...it's great to have a kid who wants to help make dinner...

It keeps my hands clean and she gets to say that she did it practically all by herself...

Mini Domo Meatloaves
(recipe courtesy of JustJenn Recipes)<---if you haven't checked out her amazing recipe blog, she's got a lot of fun kid friendly recipes infused with geek/pop culture. Love it!

Here are the ingredients (click on link above to see whole recipe):

Mix all the ingredients together. TC formed one big ball, then divided it into fourths.

I really hate touching raw meat but TC seemed to like doing this. Here's 3/4 of the loaves on the pan. I didn't have the "rack" as shown in JustJenn's blog, so made do with what I had.

The meatloaves were nicely caramelized with the brown sugar topping.

You have to cut a small rectangle from each loaf so that you can put the rectangular red pepper "mouth" which has the cheese "teeth". The cheese I used was too thin and it was kind of hard to cut without messing it up. Well, TC did a great job with these! She was a stickler for detail and wanted Domo to have his "four points" of teeth. The "eyes" were the cut off ends of black olives.

Our dinner...

Haha, one of the eyes has the "X" while the other has the "open" end (where it was pitted). Looks like Domo is drunk or drugged out.

If we do this recipe again, I would make the loaves smaller. Four ounces of meat is kind of a lot to eat in one sitting. Especially if you have this with rice (which we didn't since we're trying to be white rice free as much as possible). But two ounces might be good as a cute appetizer but it would be a lot more work making the "mouths". If you have a hearty appetite, then four ounces would be all right for a meal.

Anyways, this was pretty fun. TC is obsessed with Domo and thought this was a great recipe.

4 comments:

CAB said...

Haha, I love the faces! TC can make meatloaf for me anytime!

caninecologne said...

hi c - it's the domo face! the teeth were a pain so i let her do the rest (3 of 'em)!

Anonymous said...

Really cute! And I think the veggies used for the face count as an extra serving of vegetables...

caninecologne said...

thanks alyssa - it was a fun recipe but i think that 4 oz loaf is kinda big. i'll make 'em smaller next time. veggies as face parts make it, uh healthy, heheh.