"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Monday, October 10, 2011

La Brea Tar Pits

Feeling a bit wiped out by the Tim Burton overload, we wanted to check out the nearby La Brea Tar Pits...

TC recognized the La Brea Tar Pits as we passed by earlier in the car. No, we'd never gone here before or even mentioned it.

In true geek fashion she excitedly said, "Oooh, this was in The Simpsons episode where Mr. Burns makes Smithers go into the tar pits to retrieve a .39 popcorn that fell! And there was a submerged wooly mammoth and its baby too!"

Wut? 

It was already late in the afternoon and the museum was probably already closed. We didn't really want to see the museum anyways (perhaps for another visit)...

Here's the other side of the tar pits, located in the heart of L.A. in Hancock Park. "Brea" is the Spansih word for tar and you can really smell the "asphalt"/"tar" here! We saw some "bubbles" rising up from the tar pit which are caused by the escape of methane gas.

This was a reinforced concrete sculpture (a series of four open "boxes"). It was called, "Untitled (for Leo Castelli), made in 1977 by artist Donald Judd. TC had fun swinging and hanging off the top edge.
Giant sloth...Right after I took the photo, Bert snuggled into it's grip.

We saw this (closed) observation pit while walking back to the LACMA parking garage...

Funny thing about the LACMA parking garage - in 2006 when the city was excavating the land to build the garage, they found the fossilized remains of several animl species - the dire wolf, a giant ground sloth, a saber toothed cat, horses, and bison to name a few.

By the way, we noticed several sectioned off patches tar pits with yellow caution tape scattered throughout the park. I guess kids should be careful if they're running around on that grass! Beware of mini tar pits!

Too bad it was closed...I took this shot through the prison bars.

We passed by the Hollywood Bowl to get to Burbank...

I don't know about you but when I see the Hollywood Bowl, I think of this classic 1948 Bugs Bunny short, "Long-Haired Hare":

Leopold!

We would stay overnight in L.A. then get some good eats the next before returning to the 'burbs in San Diego.

No comments: