"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Monday, October 17, 2011

That Burger's Stacked...ain't holding nothing back!

A few weeks ago we went to the new burger place in Fashion Valley. It's right next to a store I will never set foot in, Burberry. Their clothes and bags are ugly and they are fucking expensive.

TC and I were still on vacation and we had lunch with our neighbors and their two daughters (the neighbor girls)...
The name is just ripe with innuendoes.

We came slightly after the lunch hour so it wasn't terribly crowded like I was afraid it would be. You know, being the new hyped place and all...

Don't you just love my face obscuring skills?

The interior was quite vast. Lots of swirly paintings in funky colors. The servers were also quite helpful.

Stack infuses technology with your dining experience with every table equipped with an iPad as well as old skool menus for techtards like myself. TC and the girls had a great time customizing their burgers with the iPad. Us adults, not so much. Let's put it this way, we kept fkg up and starting over. It was too much trouble in some ways but I can definitely see the appeal.

You can check out their menu here.

Since we were a party of six, our table was given two iPads. You can customize your burger with choosing what type of bread, meat options, toppings, sauces and condiments, as well as sides like fries or waffle chips. You can also "stack" salads and desserts (cookies with ice cream or shakes).

The adults ordered a small side of the sweet potato fries which were enjoyed by all.

The girls shared regular fries and onion strings. I didn't really like the onion strings because they were, well, "stringy". Just hanging there like a flaccid greasy noodle. I prefer my fried onions to have more substance and texture. Strings don't cut it for me.

TC's burger - Brioche bun, beef patty with cheese, tomato, and bacon. You can also choose how you want your patty cooked (we all chose medium).

Teen girl's burger - Brioche bun with lettuce and tomato with ketchup and mustard on the side.

Tween girl's burger with brioche bun, cheese and bacon strips. Just look at that bacon "tongue" just lolling out at you, beckoning you to eat it!

Now for the adults' food - My burger with brioche bun, lettuce, caramelized onions, roasted poblano pepper, as well as pepper jack cheese and a spicy chipotle mayo dressing. Awesome! I also ordered onion strings on the side.

Here's a closer more porntastic look at the caramelized onions. I really liked the smokiness of the roasted poblanos. One thing about this place is that it's not cheap. Every topping has a price even a leaf of lettuce. If you get too carried away, you could end up with a $10 or more burger. The girls had a "budget" of no more than  $8 but since they pretty much only chose a few toppings, their burgers were between the high end of $6 to $7. The adults on the other hand ended up with $9 being the most expensive choice. I forgot which one of had had that. (There is a smudge on the lower right hand portion of some of the photos because my camera's shutter is broken and when I opened it, my greasy finger touched the lens. Oops and shit!)

My neighbor (the wife) had the burger with the whole wheat bun, lettuc, jalapeno peppers, avocado, red onions, and spicy chipotle dressing. There might have been more ingredients in there but I can only list what I can see.

More of her burger...

Her husband also had the whole wheat bun with lettuce, tomato, cheese, and what looks like mushrooms.

Everyone enjoyed their burgers. The portion was substantial but not overly huge. We all liked how you could customize the burgers. Anti-social me liked how you could just order everything on the iPad and even pay for it without having to deal with a human person (for the most part). I'm sure the waiters are used to helping customers figure it out.

Lastly, even though the adults were stuffed, the girls still had room for dessert. They ordered a stacked chocolate chip ice cream sandwich (vanilla ice cream inside)...

Looks pretty good...

The girls dividing their ice cream cookie...

Who else went to Stacked?

Kirbie from Kirbie's Cravings went to the soft opening back in August and enjoyed freebies!!! Her post has a wide variety of their different offerings...
Michael of San Diego Food has a nice writeup which explains how to order using the iPad (helpful for techtards like myself)
Mary of Foodies - A Southern California Food blog also went here earlier this month. Her post has a sampling of all kinds of food like burgers, sausage, pizza and the different kinds of fries. Nice!

Official Website of Stacked

I think TC and I could go again just so that Bert can experience this place. I already have an idea of how I want my next burger to be!

9 comments:

Dennis K. said...

Hey CC. I was at FV a week ago, don't know how I missed the place. I'm not big on places decorated like these but gotta admit the burgers looks good and prices don't seem too bad. Thanks for sharing!

Darlene said...

Nice review! We went there a few weeks ago and I too was surprised how easily the burgers cost by adding a few condiments. But the burgers were good. I wonder how long this concept restaurant will last.

Mary said...

I love the pretzel bun here. It's so good! I also kinda of dig you don't have to talk to anyone to order hahah.

Kirbie said...

Like Mary, I love the pretzel buns here. I haven't been back since the soft opening. During the soft opening they let customers eat for free. It was great, but we didn't get to see how much everything cost. So I'm glad to read the price range on the burgers.

caninecologne said...

hi dennis - it's kind of hidden and easy to miss. the concept is totally gimmicky but the burgers were good i must say.

hi darlene - thanks. i think letuce was .17! wtf! i wonder how long it will last as well with all of these other premium burger places like burger lounge, the counter, and smashburger (which i still haven't gone to)

mary - yes, the less interation with people the better. ha ha. i wasn't sure about the pretzel bun because i thought the bun might be too heavy/chewy.

hi kirbie - buggers that i missed the soft opening! :( it's easy to get "carried away" with putting all the toppings and fixings and end upwith a burger that costs over $10!

floridabound said...

Wow, my son would love this place.He is a burger connoisseur. If this place ever comes to the east coast, look out! I've never seen a resteraunt equipped with electronic IPAD menu's yet. But I'm sure someday they will all be like that. Hell, just bring up the food app on your Iphone and order right from there.

Take Care, FB

caninecologne said...

hi fb - thanks for stopping by. the iPad feature is quite innovative. i may have to ask you for some florida restaurant recommendations one day!

CAB said...

Looks like some great burgers! Hmm, I think my mom owned some dressed in those patterns back in the 60's. hehe.

caninecologne said...

hi c - i think my mom had those groovy dress patterns too! and yes, those were pretty good burgers. i liked how they were completely customized.