"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Dinner from JNC...

The other day I was feeling like Filipino food for dinner...

I'd like to take credit for this Adobong Pusit (Squid Adobo) but alas, that honor goes to JNC Pinoy Foodmart for their takeout...

I bought several containers of food from JNC. An 12 oz of the Adobong Pusit, an 8 oz of Pork Menudo and one grilled tilapia.

I love pork menudo. Pork shoulder with onions, potatoes, garbanzos and raisins.

The good ole' squid adobo which gives you very nice breath. Quills included in the squid bodies as well.

The grilled tilapia, which didn't stand a chance to us three later that evening.

I even cooked white rice for TC. These past few months have been rice free for us so she was quite excited to have white rice again.

Now here's something none of us have ever tried before. Instead of fried bananas on a stick (Banana cue), this was fried Kamote cue (Kamote = sweet potato). This is a popular street snack in the Philippines, often eaten as "merienda" (afternoon snack).

The Kamote chunks are coated in caramelized brown sugar first before they are deep fried, forming a most delicious sugary crunch.

Other versions of the recipe include making a caramel with the brown sugar first then coating the chunks with it, finishing it in the oven. I am pretty sure these bad boys were fried because the coating was thick and crunchy, like how the exterior of a turon tastes (turon is fried banana fritter).

Both TC and Bert loved it! I couldn't see us finished one of those humongous 'cues on our own, so we divided it among us three.

Check out some Kamote Cute recipes here:
Market Manila (a highly respected Philippine food blogger, he was one of the guides that was featured in the Bourdain in the Philippines episode)
FilipinoFood
Panlasang Pinoy

3 comments:

The Food Ho said...

The squid looks so good. I've never been to JNC - I'll definitely put it on my list!

caninecologne said...

hey fh - if jnc isn't too far for you (it's in front of southwestern college on otay lakes road), sometimes those other filipino joints in national city might have it. i love how the squid ink makes the adobo dark! sometimes, i'll get it during lunch to annoy a particular co-worker who hates the smell, haha. he is snobbish towards any non-americanized asian food.

caninecologne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.