
Everyone and their mother was out that day walking to the park. Lots of folks in orange SF Giants gear and a few SD Padres fans. I even yelled out of the window, "Go San Diego!"


Getting closer to Thane's, hoping we weren't going to be stuck.

At this light, there were people begging for tickets along with skeezy scalpers trying to sell tickets even with cops present. This parking lot was charging $30 to park! WTF!!!!!! Talk about gouging!

Thane was kind enough to reserve a spot in his complex's parking garage for us ($10 a day)...no worries about having to find street parking.

The streets were crawling with Giants fans.


Okay, I have to give props to this guy, SF Giants hotshot pitcher, Tim Lincecum (I shall refrain from making a nasty rhyme about his last name...), who happens to be Filipino American! Hailing from Renton, Washington, Lincecum is considered a short pitcher by league standards; the dude is 5'11". For a Filipino American, I consider that pretty tall, but I guess those genes are from the white side. He is a lanky dude with a mean pitch and craaayzee long stride. Have you seen it? Sheeyit naman gahdammeet (must say that with a Filipino uncle accent)! The way he lurches...
Here's a factoid for ya: two years ago, he pitched his first complete game shut out against....uh, Who? OUR hometeam, the Padres! Damn you Tim! Other factoids: His nickname is "The Freak" and "The Franchise". He's right handed but bats left handed. He's the first pitcher to win the Cy Young Award two years in a row. For the non sports minded, this is an award specifically for pitchers. Apparently, winning that is a BFD.
The one thing I think of when I look at him is that he squats kinda like an old Filipino man waiting in the dugout bench. Ha ha. The second thing I think of when I see him...wait, make this the FIRST THING and switch the squat comment, is this: "TIM LINCECUM, PLEASE CHANGE YOUR HAIRSTYLE. It's 2010, not 1972, when you weren't even born yet! Please, my Pinoy brethren, I beseech you in all that is sacred and holy."
More on Tim and his ethnicity here
along with this Sports Illustrated article (July 1, 2008)
and his official stats from the MLB
and OMFG, gotta love this, Dropping the F Bomb on Live TV! We even talk alike!!!! What's wrong with a little "Fk yeah!" people? Loosen up, I say.

Here's his Sports Illustrated cover. When checking up on this dude online, I also saw that he was busted for possession of marijuana back in 2009. Tsk tsk.

Getting closer to Thane's...we see the Oakland Bay Bridge!

Almost there! That's Delancy restaurant where we would eat later that evening for dinner. It's operated by the Delancy Foundation which helps former homeless people and addicts by providing them jobs at the restaurant where they learn valuable job skills. These folks are the receptionists, servers, waiters, chefs, etc. We didn't have a chance to eat here last time even though it was literally down the street
from Thane's.

We were going to meet a former student of mine (class of 2000!) for dinner. This is the same student who saw me back in Spring 2004 while we were on the Cal campus. He was actually giving a campus tour (he was a guide) and spotted me and totally called me out, "And there's my counselor Mrs. XX right over there!". That was one of the most surreal experiences ever but it was so hilarious because I didn't think I'd bump into him. That same trip Bert, TC and I had dinner with him and another former student (she was in a band and attending SFSU at the time) at the now defunct restaurant, The Last Supper Club, in the Mission District.
Don't you just
I know I do.
For any new readers out there, yes, that was sarcasm.
So back to the story. First, we had to park, unload our shite and get our asses moving to the Ferry Building to grab some lunch!


2 comments:
On a slightly related note about height - I'm 4'11", mind you. When I was little my mom told me that if I didn't eat my rice, I wouldn't get taller. Um. Yeah. Thanks, mom. 5'11" is pretty tall for a Filipino!
mary,
i'm wondering why the league thinks 5'11" is short! for crying out loud, the dude is nearly a 6 footer and he is described as 'diminutive'. go figure.
Post a Comment