
I was so excited that I bought two boxes. Each box only has three. There was only one "Original" left so I snatched that up (heh heh, she said "snatch) and a few of the "Mint", so I got one of each ($2.99)

(info from wikipedia's entry on "It's-It Ice Cream"):
"It's-It Ice Cream is a company based in Burlingame, California. The company's flagship product, a San Francisco Bay Area favorite since it was invented in 1928, is the It's-It vanilla ice cream sandwiched between two oatmeal cookies and covered with dark chocolate. (Thank goodness the oatmeal cookies are plain and do NOT have raisins in them!)
The It's-It was invented by George Whitney, one of the original business owners when San Francisco's Playland at the Beach opened across the Great Highway from Ocean Beach. The treat is as intimately tied to San Francisco as sourdough bread, as much a part of local lore as Rice-A-Roni. Dating to the 1920s at Playland at the Beach, the frosty wonder represents one of the oldest local institutions on the West Coast...
For nearly forty five years, until Playland was demolished in 1972, the It's-It was available only at Whitney's shop. After Playland closed, the It's-It name was passed to George Mavros, who continued the tradition of hand-dipping the cookie-sandwiched ice cream in chocolate at another location near Ocean Beach.
In 1974, the Shamieh brothers bought the It's-It name, building its current production facility in Burlingame in 1976. It's-It flavors now include chocolate, mint and cappucino in addition to the original vanilla. The company has also added other ice cream products, including the "Super Sundae," the "Big Daddy", the "Super Cone" and the "Chips It".(Ooh, cappucino! I wish they had those there that night! I would have bought that box too! Same thing with the chocolate flavor! I didn't see any of the other products either.)

I tore this shit open once we got back to Thane's...


I believe this was the Mint one. It's hard to tell with the fluorescent lighting...

You can see the cookie texture. It's kind of messy to eat because when you bite it, the cookie kind of caves in and the chocolate covering the sides break off. I don't really like oatmeal cookies but they sure tasted pretty good covered with chocolate and filled with ice cream!

Speaking of ice cream...we'll be trying a few places tomorrow!
Who else wrote about It's-It?:
Darlene had some of these! That is all.
The official website here aaaaand....
the yelp reviews for theBurlingame location
Crap. The image of the giant It's-It on top of a roof is on again, off again. If you want to see the photo, go to this link: Roadside America - It's-It. I don't know about you, but this is great website I love when planning our trips - basically funny/wierd/quirky shit to see all over America.
Day Two brings another plethora of posts...Can you handle them? Oh, I think you can! And then some!
Here are some teasers:
Six Arms and Three Heads
Sisig Nachos
PedoBear
Funky ice cream flavors
and much much more! Stay tuned!


6 comments:
Dude, I've had these! They're the bomb! My friend in SF lead me to them (after a heavy night at bars.. haha).
hi dennis
Yeahhh! They are pretty damn good! It would be even better if the cookie was chocolate chip instead of oatmeal!
i had a bite of both flavors that night, but finished the mint one!
I've had the vanilla one - I think I bought some at the store after I saw Darlene's review. They're pretty good! I'm also glad they don't have raisins, that would have totally ruined it for me.
mary, u found some at a store down here? which one?
Awwww man! I went to the store and only found the original one. My favorite is the mint. Also, I always remembered that It's-It on the roof on highway 101. It was my favorite site as a kid and was my "15 minutes till I get home" landmark as an teenager.
hi caleb - thanx for stopping by! my fave is the cappucino! i'm glad there aren't raisins in the cookies even though it is on the list of ingredients. raisins with ice cream = yuck.
i like how you used the giant it's it as a landmark! the first time i saw it, i didn't know what it was!
Post a Comment