"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Adams Avenue Bookstore

Hey, but before we get to Mariposa, we drove by one of my favorite book stores. Fk Borders and Barnes and Noble...I think these older mom and pop owned bookstores have more personality. There was a time in the early to mid 90's when Adams Avenue had loads of bookstores. Now there are only a few left.

I made a left on Adams looking for Mariposa's storefront. Ew, my windshield was dirty!

Turns out they were not yet open. It was 12:30 and they opened at 1 pm. So I headed down the street, passed this sign and made a U-turn to head back up to the bookstore.

It was a cold and gray day. Perfect for being in a bookstore. Once TC and I entered the door, one of the bookstore cats walked up to us and promptly jumped onto a pile of books as it regally surveyed its domain. This is the Children's section...

Along with Dr. Seuss's classic, "The Lorax", the shelves were filled with volumes, old and new. I saw a book more than a century old and it was inscribed to a grandchild; the year was 1882! I wasn't sure what character this bookend was.

There are three floors in Adams Avenue Books. The cookbook section was aptly set in the old kitchen area of this place...(sorry, the photo is kind of dark)

Love the vintage hexagonal tile...

More cookbooks...


TC ended up buying the last two volumes in the "Eragon" trilogy by Christopher Paoline:  "Eldest" and "Brisingr" (were used hardcovers). She was so excited because she'd been wanting to read these for awhile. The first book is pretty thick and so were these!

This is one of my favorites along with the now defunct Wahrenbrocks which used to be located on 8th and Broadway in downtown San Diego. They closed back in 2009 after a 74 year run! RIP Wahrenbrocks. Back in the mid 90's, one of the clerks must have had a crush on me or something (haha). He gave me a free book (it was the Brady Bunch tell all book by the guy who played Greg Brady) and also a tour of the upper levels which had rare volumes of books, some dating back to the 16th century.  Score!  There was also some books he showed me that were very rare because the botanical drawings were all drawn by hand. You can bet those books weren't mass produced.

Do any of you guys have a favorite (non-chain) bookstore?

3 comments:

Wandering Chopsticks said...

Powell's, of course! :)

Darlene said...

We love walking to the 5th Avenue Bookstore in Hillcrest. Sure we have to dodge a lot more homeless people but they have a great selection of used books. In addition, we've sold a bunch of books here towards credit for future purchases.

caninecologne said...

Hi WC - Powell's is great! We went twice when we were there last year. If it weren't for their color coded map, I'd be lost! But I'd have lots of fun getting lost in there!

Hi Darlene -I like 5th Ave books as well - there used to be Blue Stocking Books across the street next to the old Guild Theatre. That was also a really cute tiny place.They do have a great selection there!