"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Saturday, February 01, 2014

Lake Huron Fish & Chips

You'd think that with the persistently gloomy cloud cover and chilly temps (low 60's = freezing to SoCal natives)....

the girls wouldn't want to go to the beach, but they weren't going to let the weather deter them. Before making our way to the beach, we made a stop for a quick snack...

at a place that C highly recommended. On our way there, we saw these newly set up windmills. According to C and her husband, these solar powered windmills caused some contoversy among the Islanders, some of whom felt they were an "eyesore" and others who were suspicious of their purpose and even some thinking that they could cause cancer.

It was certainly different seeing these huge propellers right in the middle of the island's normally pristine natural setting, but it was cool seeing the use of "green energy" with these windmills.

Our next stop was here...

It's a quiet little village community on the south shore of the Island, located right next to Lake Huron.

The Lake itself is the namesake of this fish and chip shop which opened two years prior (during our visit it was 2012). The owner is a young entrepreneur, Matthew Garniss who owned and operated not only this shop, but the small gift shop next door (that post will be forthcoming).

It's a cute little building and we were the only customers during the time of our visit...

The young man working the grill was very nice and friendly. Bert had a good chat with him and found out that he also worked at the local grocery store and was a student.

They offered fish and chips here as well as fish burgers, poutin, hamburgers, cheese burgers, hot dogs, and even a veggie dog (hmmm). We just ordered french fries and onion rings. Almost everything was fried!

It was very neat and clean inside with lots of wood paneling.

The community board had posters of upcoming events, as well as business cards and such. The "I (heart) POP" sticker is a reference to the postal code for Manitoulin Island. Bert ended up buying an "( (heart) POP" t-shirt next door as a souvenir. The sticker/shirts were designed by Matthew, the owner.

Contrary to popular belief, not all Canadians wear a raccoon skin cap and wear plaid shirts! The Islanders do like country and folk music though!

Our fried snacks. I liked that the ketchup made sure you knew that it was made in Canada and had the maple leaf on it!

"aux tomates", oui oui!

I liked the rings better than the fries, which they advertised as hand cut.

Our girls enjoyed this more than the adults. I was actually hungry for some "real" food but was saving my appetite for the Canadian dinner that C had in mind for tonight. Her father would be making his homemade fish fry and she and I would be making tortieres (meat pies).

I think this picture was supposed to be rotated! Oh well, lazy me. Ain't gonna happen, ha ha.

What's a Canada trip post without a video by one of my favorite Canadian rock bands? Hell yeah man, I present to you, RUSH!!!!!!!!

I'm such a nerd...I quoted this line from Rush 's "Limelight" in my senior yearbook, "All the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players...performers and portrayers...each another's audience inside this gilded cage" (which they totally lifted from Shakespeare's "As You Like It"!)

Plus one more awesome Canadian band, Triumph from their performance at the US Festival in 1983, "Fight the Good Fight":

Haha, the guitarist was sporting a trucker hat which was in style AT THE TIME. When I see people wearing those now, I totally think, "douchebag fashion"!

Spotlight on Lake Huron Fish & Chips by my friend, C:
Lake Huron Fish and Chips (May 2010)

Lake Huron Fish & Chips
20 McNevin St.
POP 1T0
(705) 377-4500

There is no website but here is the FB page for Lake Huron Fish and Chips

Update - It might seem silly that we did not order the restaurant's namesake (well, we did order the "chips"), but later that night, we would be having the real thing, with fish caught by C's dad and breaded and fried by him. We needed to "save" our appetites. :)

The boutique next door was our next stop before hitting the beach...

2 comments:

Cathy Doe said...

Sad face. I wanted to see the fish/how they did it here. Some of the best fish and chips (and coffee) I've had were in Ontario.

caninecologne said...

Sorry, we didn't get the fried fish here. We were asked to save our appetites for dinner for some authentic island caught fish fry. in retrospect, we probably should have shared one order! :(