Even though I've never met Bri, I stumbled upon her blog, Figs with Bri through Wandering Chopsticks foodblog (who's linked through San Diego's MMM-Yoso ). Even though I've never met Wandering Chopsticks either, Bri's story appealed to me. It's for a good cause and also one that I've been dealing with personally these past few months, breast cancer.
Yeah you heard that right. That is a BIGASS reason why I haven't been blogging as faithfully. Hearing something like THAT made me realize I had more important things to take care of instead of blogging. I'll be honest with you, it FKG sucks especially since I'm so young (just turned 39, but I look and feel young!), but cancer is indiscriminate towards age and doesn't care who it hits. The most important thing is that the cancer was caught early enough and it was treated. Having one less boob is a small price to pay for having my life. They say cancer changes your life and that it has. As cliched as it sounds, I am really looking at my priorities and life in a more reflective manner and being as positive as I can about this experience. That's my only choice because I can't afford to wallow in negative thoughts.
Since the "news", I've taken time off work since my diagnosis in late March (I'm in Stage 2-A). I had my mastectomy on my left breast in mid-April (yeah, happy late birthday to me!) and and have just completed my third round of chemotherapy a few days ago. I have one more treatment to go, then it's five years of Tamoxifen and hopefully no more of this bitch of a cancer.
Had my head shaved last month because it sucked seeing my hair all over the place. I had TC with me and the trooper that she is, took photos of her mommy getting her head sheared. No more cool rocker chick haircut. Now I look like GI Jane. But not as buff( I wish!)! Please, no Mrs. Clean or Sinead o'Connor jokes! I'd like to be as hot as Persis Khambatta (Lt. Ilia in the Star Trek - The Motion Picture, 1979) or Natalie Portman in "V is for Vendetta". Although I have 3 different wigs to play around with (one is black and looks like my old hair, the other two are dark brown - a bit of a conservative "Posh" bob and what I call my very tamed Robert Smith of the Cure shag), I rock the bald look at home. I hope my hair grows in to at least Billy Idol length by the time I plan to start work again, which I haven't yet determined the date.
Physically and mentally I'm doing pretty good, but I haven't really written about my experiences on my blog since I am normally a very private person. However, I wanted to somewhat break my silence about my condition to help Bri. This blog will still be about food and quirky things that amuse me, but I really need to expend my time and energy on healing, and spending quality time with my family especially my daughter. I won't be posting too much of my personal matters here unless I feel the need to. (update on 7/9 - I've broken out of my shell and posted a few newer posts about my experiences with cancer...guess I wanted to vent!)
But enough about me, and more about Bri. Hopefully foodbloggers out here or any random readers, especially in San Diego can help Bri reach her goal of raising money for her alternative treatments. She's almost at her goal - 97%! (update on 7/9 - Looks like the fundraiser was successful! She has surpassed her goal of 100%, which is EXCELLENT! However, the fundraiser will still go on to July 15, so it's not too late to donate for Bri!)
---------------------------------------------------------
This is an appeal on behalf of a group of food bloggers who are friends of Briana Brownlow @ Figs With Bri.
Bri was diagnosed with breast cancer two and half years ago. A mastectomy, chemotherapy and two years of relatively good health later, the cancer is back. It has metastasized to other parts of her body. At the age of 15, Bri lost her 41-year old mother to the disease. Now, she’s waging her own war against breast cancer. More about it here.
She is going through intensive chemo and other treatments and needs to focus single-mindedly on healing and finding what treatment works best for her. Her health insurance, unfortunately, does not cover holistic alternatives which she would like to try. Bri and her husband Marc have enough on their plates right now in addition to worrying about her medical bills.
The team organising the JUNE edition of CLICK at Jugalbandi has organised a fundraiser to help Bri and her family meet her out-of-pocket medical costs for ONE YEAR.
CLICK is a monthly theme-based photography contest hosted by Jugalbandi. This month’s theme is: YELLOW for Bri
Yellow is the colour of hope. Through the work of the LiveStrong Foundation, it has also come to signify the fight against cancer.
The entries can be viewed HERE. The deadline for entries is June 30, 2008. The fundraiser will extend until July 15, 2008.
The target amount is 12,000 U.S. dollars. We appeal to our fellow bloggers and readers to help us achieve this. Bri deserves a chance to explore all options, even if her insurance company thinks otherwise.
There’s a raffle with exciting prizes on offer. After viewing the list, you may make your donation HERE or at the Chip-In button on any participating site.
Your donation can be made securely through credit card or Pay Pal and goes directly to Bri’s account.
This month’s photo contest also has some prizes. Details HERE.
You can support this campaign by donating to the fundraiser, by participating in CLICK: the photo event, and by publicising this campaign.


17 comments:
It's a lot to go through and I hope it's as uncomplicated as possible. I'm cheering you on!
(Sorry, I accidentally clicked the comment link on the previous post... reposted to the correct one!)
Hope you feel better soon, sorry you're going through difficult times.
Hey, Canine!
Thinking of you and I'm hoping all is going well and that you're feeling great :)
Whenever you're feeling up for another chat, let me know! I enjoy our phone conversations! You have got to be the coolest rocker chick ever! ;)
XOXO
P.S. You are such a trooper! I'm telling you...You sounded so positive and full of energy the last time we spoke. With that attitude, you can get through anything ;)
moowiesrd - thanks for stopping by. i love your blog by the way. i also found it cool that one of my good friends (training wheels) what a small world. yes, so far it's uncomplicated and i count myself lucky. i hope the rest of this process is smooth sailing.
jennywenny-hello! nice to hear from you again. i enjoyed your last few cupcake posts. your harissa soup also sound like quite a good recipe. i just bought some jarred harissa at north park produce (there's one near me in chula vista). i haven't opened it yet though. i am feeling okay so far. i appreciate your kind words.
c- nice to hear from you again! let's chat sometime again this week. re: being positive, well that's my only choice right? you know this was the week we were supposed to visit you. next time, eh? hope all is well w/u too!!!
i took a risk putting out that last post but i kind of feel better getting it out in the open...
moowiesqrd-my response to u was cut off. what i meant to say was 'i found it cool that one of my friends (training wheels) commented on one of your blog posts'. what a small world!
I can imagine writing/blogging about it would be really cathartic. Writing always helps me get things off my chest...even if I don't publish everything I write.
You've got great support with good friends and family :) Yes, let's chat sometime this week. It's always fun catching up with you.
I can't believe this was the week you were supposed to come visit us! :) It's Canada Day (long weekend) and the Island is going to be jam packed with tourists. I met a lot of couples from Kentucky and West Virginia the other day. There are a lot of people from Ohio and Michigan who own property here too!
Anyway, I want you to rest up and take care of yourself so you guys can maybe come visit us next summer! Baby McNaughton will be 5 months old by the time you guys come if you come the same time as you were supposed to this year :)
Chat soon! XOXO
Hey you, I admire your courage and honesty. We foody bloggers are a cyber family and I know that everyone one in cyber food land has been thinking good thoughts in your direction. the best to you and your family.
hi C
I just saw Sex and the City with two friends! Fun movie. Great clothes! But I still think Big is an asshole. I'm not the kind of person who forgives easily. Yeah, I'm a cold hearted one. Ha ha. Of course, I knew Carrie would end up with his sorry ass. The movie going public would have had a fit it they didn't end up together. No downer ending of course.
Happy early Canada Day (which is also our wedding anniversary)! We were in Canada 3 years ago for our 10 year Anniversary.
As for writing about my shit, I'd rather not put too much or any on my blog. I feel I've already revealed too much. I don't know who reads this blog and I don't want to get bothered by unknown wierdos out there.
If anything, I'll do it in my own notebook or whatever. I've been making jewelry during my free time.
Michael- Thank you so much for your kind words. You know,even though I haven't met most of the SD food blogging community, I know there's a lot of good people out there. Maybe one of these days, I can meet you (hey maybe even my food blogger heros, Captain Jack and Kirk)and some other folks for lunch or dinner one time.
Done deal. I know Kirk and CJ and I can tell you that they love meeting fellow bloggers. You tell me when is good for you and I will hook it up. It would be a fun time getting a few SD foody bloggers together. Sounds like an episode of Seinfeld in the making.
Hi CC - Sorry I haven't been around in a while. I had thought that you were busy with work. I really admire your strength and courage....you tell me where, and I'll be there, ok?
kirk
thank you for your support!
fridays or weekends are best. i know everyone works (since i'm currently not working) so weekdays probably aren't good. if anything i'll email you kirk (since i don't have michael's email). expect an email from pinkcandlesatrh@gmail.com. could one of u guys also get a hold of captain jack?
i'm looking forward to you guys and having a culinary adventure!
correction - i meant to write, 'i'm looking forward to meeting you guys'
Canine, it was great chatting with you today :) Have a great time with Lotus, TC, and Fia. Can't wait to read your next blog post. Mmmmmmmm...You were making me hungry just talking about the food!
c - wow you're fast! i too had a lovely time shooting the shit with you. how's that for a nice phrase?
i just got home from picking up tc. we are just waiting for lotus to come pick us up for lunch at asia cafe.
mmm...sticky rice
Hey you,
Sorry it took so long for me to read this post, I can be quite lame at times. I am extremely pissed off at the powers that be for visiting a shitty cancer upon your life. I hope you are kicking it repeatedly in the nuts.
If you ever want to hang out or do some foodie stuff just e-mail me (address on my site). We could even take out my purple Harley road king if you like, it makes a shit-load of noise and vibrates like a MFer.
Sorry again for lagging,
Your blogging pal,
Captain Jack :)
hi jack
thanks for your colorful remarks and YES I FKG AM KICKING CANCER IN THE NUTS!!!
i am finally back home and trying to get caught up whilst trying to relax (ha). kirk actually called me earlier today and he said he spoke to you.
us foodbloggers will have to meet in about a month - to be on the safe side due to my last chemo cycle. don't want to chance getting sick or eating something that may make me sick. squid guts anyone? i can't even have a fresh salad dammit.
well, i'll email you at my other account. i'm sure we could chat (ie talk shit!) ha ha. thanks again!
Post a Comment