"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Costa Brava & Sage French Bakery

Okay, dipping my feet back into the world of foodblogging.

These photos were actually taken in late March, soon after my diagnosis. My three supernice and supercool educator girlfriends took me out to an early birthday lunch at Costa Brava in PB. We'd been there before and were hungering again for their tapas. Pictured below is their sangria:
Warm bread with garlic alioli...which is SO GOOD
with Manchego Cheese!
Below is the Tortilla Espanola, an egg omelet with onions, potatoes and peppers. A bit on the mild side but a great tapa nonetheless.
These were bacalao fritters, which are salt cod fish balls. Niiice sounding, but they taste really delicious! I wished the tapa came with more than 4. I could have eaten all of these.
Here are the Patatas Bravas, which are fried potato chunks with a spicy alioli sauce. One of my Spaniard co-workers told me the secret (well, at least HIS secret to his recipe) was Tabasco sauce. Sounds really Spanish to me. In any case. the coating wasn't really spicy even though we were warned by our waiter.
Since there were 4 of us, we had 2 orders of the paella (which I assumed they put all in this paellera). The paella had an abundance of shellfish (mussels and clams), and squid, as well as chicken. It also wasn't as salty as the last time we were here, so that was a good thing!
The things about shrimp in the shell is that you have to touch it and peel it. I hate getting my fingers dirty, so someone else ate the shrimp that day.
After our rather heavy lunch, we wanted dessert because the flan at Costa Brava didn't cut it for us. No, we needed chocolate or something else! That something else was found at Sage French Bakery on Convoy which is in that crazy-small parking lot in which you can find Nijiya Japanese Market and Sunrise Buffet. We were lucky to find a spot actually. The place was packed when we got in but we were able to find an empty table (the last one). I forgot the name of this cake, but I believe it was some sort of chocolate mousse with hazelnut. That is a slab of marbled white chocolate on top.
Also, when I took these photos, I didn't think about removing the plastic encircling these morsels of delight. So, they look kind of sterile all wrapped up. The one in the back is called 'Mistral Cake' (don't ask me why, that's all I remember). The one in front, sorry, don't recall.Here's a better shot of the "Mistral Cake", decorated with a flower petal and gold leaf. There were layers of white chocolate, raspberry and I want to say passion fruit, but again, this was so long ago, I don't remember. The cake in the middle had chocolate mousse and green tea as the flavorings. The one in the back, again, was chocolate mousse and hazelnut cake.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ohhhhhhhhh...YUM!!!

The Food Ho said...

I loooooooooove love love Costa Brava!