Sunday, March 18, 2007
CPK
Last Sunday, Bert's mom wanted to take us out to lunch after church. Bert and I thought it would be good to try a place none of us had ever been, California Pizza Kitchen. Despite my dislike for corporate restaurants, one of my good friends whom I spoke to at the previous day's b-day party, had just mentioned how much she liked a certain dish there. So, I thought we could try this place based on her recommendation. Plus, the restaurant was in the Otay Ranch shopping center and would give me an excuse to go to the bookstore to buy a giftcard for an upcoming birthday party. Here's the view from the parking lot.
The front view:
The cool light fixtures in the foyer:
We were seated in one of the corner banquettes:

Bert ordered a frozen strawberry lemonade (or was it raspberry?). It was no big thing. It was an overpriced slushy.
Bert, his brother, and I ordered a couple of pizzas plus a salad to share among us. One of the pizzas was billed as 'new', the Mango Tandoori Chicken Pizza, which sounded intriguing. I personally was put off by the bright orange sauce (and fruit) drizzled atop the pizza:
The Thai Crunch Salad (with avocado) was a bit of a soggy mess. The fried noodles were gross and they put too much peanut dressing, which drowned out everything. However, I did like the shelled edamame and the peanuts (which added some much needed crunch), but overall, this salad was too "wet" for me. Oh yeah, there were a few pieces of tastless flattened chicken in there as well.
This pizza is the original BBQ chicken pizza (seen on the previous pizza link above):
Bert's mom had a rosemary chicken sandwich on an onion roll while TC had a mini cheese pizza. The ambiance was okay and our waiter was a bit too attentive (perhaps smarmy is too strong of a word). He also said he would bring us some bread but never did. No matter, since we had enough to eat. It's nice that the South Bay has more dining options, but I would prefer to eat at smaller mom & pop type operations rather than slick corporate entities that serve soulless food to the masses.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
I've eaten here once and must say that they have pretty good pasta. It's good that they are conveniently located right up the street from our house.
Maybe we should have ordered pastas instead.
Yesterday, TC and I went to Barnes and Noble in the afternoon. We saw the workers putting the King's Fish House (?) together. Their barstools had arrived and they were busy unpacking them. Looks like they are working hard to get that place open soon.
Lucky we got home before yesterday's thunderstorm (5:30'ish). Did you hear it? I saw the lightning flash several times! Freaky!
Regarding Kings Fish House, Screg and I only ate there a few times at the Mission Valley location. There food is just okay, nothing to brag about, but they are pricey.
I was on my way home from work when I saw the lightning and heard the thunder. When I got home I sat on our front porch with my camera and a hot cup of tea waiting for it to happen again; but no such luck. But, I sure enjoyed it while it last.
Post a Comment