"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Monday, March 11, 2019

The now defunct I Heart Retro, Portland OR

Next door to Carnelian Coffee was yet another vintage store.

It was always fun checking out the many cool vignettes within...


The Last Supper on black velvet was one of the first things I noticed in her. I recognized the lady running the place as someone we just saw earlier at the coffee shop.

This pair of wooden carved wall frames caught my eye as well. These were vintage Philippine wood carvings of a peasant woman and a farmer. If only I had room in my luggage to bring these back home. These were also outrageously priced at $120 for the pair! Wut!!!


This probably came from a Lolo or Lola's home who passed away and whose relatives had no use for the decor.  They really don't make carvings like this anymore and now I regret not getting it and having it shipped home.

There were also some figurines, such as this, which had exaggerated "Asian" features.

More wall art with Mexican children...

and some cool retro sterdeo equipment and speakers!

Seeing all of this furniture reminded me of homes of various relatives from the 70's, furnished in all of its mid-century glory.

I felt nostalgic seeing this type of decor and amused that it was now back "in style" and much more expensive as well.

More black velvet painting fun...


As well as a Patrick Nagel print from the 80's.

TC bought a knit cap here and some vintage buttons for her denim jacket, which the nice owner comped her. I guess she figured that she was going out of business and gave the pins to TC as a "bonus". That was a kind gesture.

I Heart Retro [CLOSEDS]
6927 SE Foster St
Portland, OR 97206

I know they are no longer in business, but here is their still up Fb page where you can see some of the cool displays they used to have

We would be heading out to the Hawthorne area for lunch as well as more thrift store shopping...

No comments: