"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Nick's Famous Coney Island

Steps away from the Bagdad Theater is this old school sign proclaiming, Nick's Famous Coney Island Food...

I remember seeing it back in 2010 and again in 2012...

This time, we would actually eat there!  Nick's has been around since 1935 and is known for its Coney Island dogs. This is a distinct style of American food with Greek roots in which a hot dog is covered with a savory meat sauce as well as other toppings such as chopped onions and other condiments.

The menu is pretty simple. There are burgers and even salads, but why bother. You should be here for their dogs.


We sat near the front near the windows. It was right next to the bar where we would see folks come and go. It was very low key in here and you could tell who were the regulars.


We kept it simple - A regular coney island for me and Bert topped with chopped onions. For TC, she had the vegetarian version. Her side was coleslaw, ours was potato chips. Health food this ain't.

My first Coney Island dog wasn't anything too remarkable but since we were both pretty hungry, it was inhaled pretty quickly. Bert liked the chili sauce more than I did. He really likes having sloppy chili on his hot dogs. Me, not so much. But it really was tasty.

TC's vegetarian dog was ok.  I could tell it wasn't real meat. She couldn't finish it so we took a few bites from hers to "help".

There's that hot dog hidden underneath the finely ground meat chili.

Delicious!

Down the street was this giant milk bottle! I live for this stuff! Ha ha!

Glad we tried this place at least one time.  I will need to try a Coney in San Diego (I know, not the same as in New York or even Detroit, in a nod to Cathy's epic Road Trip post from the Summer of 2016) for "research purposes".

Articles:
"A trip to the oldest hot dog stand in Portland will delight you in every way", July 23, 2018, Only In Your State.
"Frank Nudo, former owner of Nick's Famous Coney Island, dies at 83" November 2017, Oregon Live
"A bit of old Portland is gone when one of the cooks at Nick's Coney Island dies" October 2013, Oregon Live (this was a sad article)

Nick's Famous Coney Island
3746 SE Hawthorne Ave
Portland, OR 97214
(503) 235=3008

nicksfamousconeys.com + reviews from that four lettered site

By this time, the caffeine had worn off and I had another coffee place on my list for us to check out...

No comments: