We figured we could eat our West Indian food here along with our Chilean stuff. We thought wrong! We sat at the edge overlooking the patio...
A female empanada!
Bert waiting in line and checking out the menu...
Weathered sign...
To continue where I left off at the last post...the woman who had our order saw our food from the other place and sharply said, "You cannot eat that here! Only our food!". I didn't want to argue with her but c'mon, we were ordering food from their place as well, so seriously, I thought it would be okay. But I didn't want to cause a fuss and I could see where she was coming from so I apologized to her and put away our food. I would be more pissed though if someone came outside and didn't order any food at the place.
First thing we got was the Corn Pie...
Can you believe we finished it all? It was like Shepherds Pie but instead of mashed potatoes, there's really creamy and soft corn covering spiced ground beef. Delicious!
This was the Jumbo Empanada - filled with spiced ground beef and served with a type of Chilean salsa called Pebre which contains cilantro, chopped onion, olive oil, garlic and ground or pureed spicy aji peppers.

Bert also ordered a Mini Empanada which was filled with spiced chicken.
This filling also had boiled egg in there. It wasn't too spicy either but I'd have to say that I liked the beef much better.
These remind me of the Chilean version of those Hot Dogs that you see on top of Superdawg in Chicago.
For today, we originally planned to go to St. Jacobs, a small town about an hour or so away from Toronto. This town is known for its large population of Mennonites; they even have a Mennonite Museum/visitor center along with a Maple Syrup Museum. We changed our minds and decided to stay in the city for today. I didn't want to invest 3+ hours driving back and forth when we could use our time more efficiently and take in more sights/culture in the city. Maybe next time we go to Toronto...
We did do quite a bit that day. We rode a cool stomach lurching Charlie and the Chocolate Factory type glass elevator up CN Tower and enjoyed the sky high views of the city. We also went to the Hockey Hall of Fame and got up close and personal to some jerseys in a locker room sans the sweat the the puck bunnies, and rode public transportation in this fine city. That last one is a biggie since we are normally NOT pedestrians or users of public transpo. After lunch, we were getting a bit tired and wanted to head back to the hotel, which was blocks and blocks away. In Bert's eyes, the locations looked pretty close on the map. But when it's freaking hot outside and your feet feel like they're going to fall off, it wasn't close at all.














No comments:
Post a Comment