"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Chicago: Day 1 - Hot Doug's and White Castle!

[Update - Hot Doug's closed as of October 2014]

It's Wednesday night and I can see the massive edifice that houses the ginormous Field Museum and the nearby dome of the Adler Planetarium from our hotel window. It was our first day in Chicago and we had some serious eating to do. I don't know about you, but when Bert and I make travel plans, we always arrange our sightseeing around our food! Ha ha. Although the temps were in the low 60's, it was actually not so bad. We were somewhat prepared but didn't want to overpack like we were going to Siberia or something.
Armed with one of our trusty guides "NFT"...as well as several recommendations from blog readers.
Cool artwork seen on telephone post located right outside of our lunch time destination, Hot Doug's, (see the yelp reviews of Hot Doug's here)!
We HAD to come here because Hot Doug's is only open until 4 pm and also, the business goes on vacation starting October 3! As briefly mentioned in my previous post, we are going to be in Chicago for a few days. I have a cousin that we were planning to visit and unbeknownst to us, his wife booked Friday AND Saturday at this waterpark in Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin, which is like the water park capitol of America. I shit you not.. No offense to people who live in Wisconsin, but this is probably one of the worst places for me (a hydrophobe) to be. I also despise outdoor activies, being cold and being subjected to crappy chain restaurants.

I felt like I couldn't say "No dude, sorry, we'll pass", but my cousin's wife had already paid for the rooms. I wish they would have asked us. I'm sure my cousin and his wife meant well, but I also think our "visit" was their ulterior motive in going to this Wilderness Resort place that they wanted to go to last month, but couldn't. Gee, thanks a whole fkg lot. Oh, and anti-social me also has to smile and be happy with this OTHER family they invited. Great...(makes "W" sign with both hands).

"Just smile and wave boys...smile and wave..." ("Penguins of Madagascar)


So, while Bert and TC and my cousin, his wife and teenage kid are out swimming and shit, I'll be holed up in my hotel room reading Dan Brown's "The Lost Symbol" (yes, I caved and bought it at Costco) or maybe exploring the town of Wisconsin Dells on my own. In 50 degree weather. In the land of mediocre eateries. Luckily, we leave Wisconsin on Sunday morning, leaving us with at least a day and a half to still enjoy Chicago and its neighboring suburbs.

So yeah, we had to try Hot Doug's place before they closed for vacation, and also because Kirk recommended it. I happened to look up an old Bourdain episode on Chicago (aired in early Feb this year) and Hot Doug's is one of the places he visits.
Growing out my rocker chick mullet!
We went directly from O'Hare and the rental car place to Hot Doug's in the Irving Park neighborhood of Chicago...The line was out the door, but thankfully, not around the block.
The lines moves fast so once you pass through the door, there is a small waiting area with another door that leads into the restaurant. I don't know if you can see it, but the words on the wall say, "There are no finer words in the English language than 'encased meats' my friend"---the quote is attributed to someone named "Secret Robbie". There are hot dog decorations and memorabilia everywhere. Even the "girls" bathroom has a tiled spoof of "American Gothic" with a hot doug couple. In the "boys" bathroom (they really do say 'girls' and 'boys' on their bathroom doors), it's a spoof of the Magritte painting of a man with a bowler hat and instead of a cloud for his face (I just found out from Wikipedia that is is called "The Son of Man"), it's the side view of a hot dog. Sorry, no photos of those masterpieces here. [update - will post the bathroom murals a few days later after our return to Hot Doug's]The place was packed but surprisingly, about 3 or 4 tables opened up once we moved up in line and placed our order...By the way, I was thinking of snagging a table while Bert was in line. I'm glad I didn't because when we were sitting down waiting for our food, an older lady tried to bogart an empty table but was (nicely) told by one of the workers that she needed to order her food first before sitting down. She didn't seem happy about it, but had not choice but to comply. Or else he would have bitch slapped her.
Although we didn't order any of these menu items, here's the specials. Bourdain had the hot dog with three slices of fois gras on it...Although Captain Jack recommended the duck fat fries (yes, they are really fried in rendered duck fat), these are only offered on Friday and Saturday. Today was a Wednesday. We'll see if we can go there on Friday on our way to my cousin's place in Morton Grove.
Hot dog memorabilia galore - and yes, that's a clock with hot dogs as the "hands". Not pictured, but on the same wall to the right is a "Timeline of Encased Meats"...The first drawing had a caveman holding a hotdog on a twig...Funny.
View from our table...The line was nonstop by the way. It never let up and it was still out the door when we left!
Here's what we got - the Cheese Fries ($2.25/small). These were okay but not that great. We really wanted the duck fat fries but those will have to wait. This kind of tasted like melted cheez whiz on top of fries which is not a good thing.
TC had the "So far still Just) The Charlie and James Sohn Mini bagel dogs and tater tots – the kids love’em." ($2.50). The bagel casing was kind of thick and didn't do much for the tiny dogs. I think they were those mini cocktail links you can get anywhere. Those were also the crispiest tater tots I've ever had. I kind of like mine to be crisp on the outside only and not all the way through.
Bert had the "The Salma Hayek (formerly the Madonna, the Raquel Welch and the Ann-Margret)Andouille Sausage: Mighty, mighty, mighty hot!"($4.00). This wasn't really "hot hot" but there was a kick to it. We liked the "snap" of the sausage and the slices of fresh tomatoes and grilled onions. Hmmm, when I think of Salma Hayek, I don't think of Hot Dogs. I'm thinking more of uh...big ole melons.

Muy grande.
And I had "The Dog Chicago-Style Hot Dog with all the trimmings: 'nuff said." ($1.75). For those that know me, eating mustard is a big deal. I normally don't even eat it at all unless it's a flavoring, like honey mustard potato chips. So, I didn't want to appear wussy like so I ordered this with everything on it and I ate it that way. I didn't eat the pickle spear though...
Look at that radioactive shade of relish! I've never seen relish this bright before! Their hot dog buns are also poppy seed, which is characteristic of a Chicago Style dog. In Chicago, they do not put ketchup on their hot dogs. Don't even ask for it here. As if all this food weren't enough (actually we didn't even order that much food at Hot Doug's), we had to have our very own Harold and Kumar moment, and make the obligatory trip to White Castle). This one happened to be on West Addison (see Yelp reviews of this location here). We don't have White Castle in San Diego, and I wanted to see if the real thing was better than frozen shit you can get in the freezer case at Ralph's or Vons.
I didn't know that White Castle is open 24 hours a day. It was pretty dead when we got there. What you see below is NOT the ordering counter. That was around the corner to the left. There were just a few scattered adults and a group of young African American teens. One of them almost started a fight with this older man who was walking to the bathroom. The man tripped over the teen's cell phone cord, which the kid had plugged into one of White Castle's outlets. Nice... hi-jacking White Castle's electricity there. So Ghetto!
So the teen starts raising his voice, getting belligerent by using profanities, and basically challenges the older man to a fight because he broke his phone. The man said, "You shouldn't have had it plugged in there in the first place". I really thought they were going to fight but luckily, one of the workers kicked out the teens. TC also heard a few "choice" words that day. I hope she doesn't remember them...Ha ha, days later, "Mommy, what does M-----fkr mean? Let's hope she doesn't ask me that!
Bert ordered the single White Castle burger for me (.61) and a Double one for him (forgot the price) and TC, but she only had a few bites...He also ordered onion rings. All of the items came in cute little boxes which I'm sure are bad for the environment. The burgers tasted just like the frozen version - which to me, isn't all that. It's very "soft" and "steamed". The burgers are very tiny and if we hadn't eaten at Hot Doug's, we could have eaten more than just two. More like ten or so. The buns are steamed and filled with grilled onions and a thin square beef patty. These were "appetizer" sized. As you can see, we didn't really get a lot of food, but just a little "taste" of real White Castle food at an actual White Castle location.
Here's a close up of those onion rings...so good!
Time to get to our hotel and check in!

9 comments:

Wandering Chopsticks said...

If you've got the car, drive to Madison for the day while everyone is at the park. Madison's a great town. On State Street there's Afghani, Tibetan, Laotian, Korean, Ethiopian, and lots more restaurants. I forgot which weekend morning, the farmers' market is the entire block around the Capitol building. Or leave the Dells early and stop off in Madison on the way back to Chicago. I was really pleasantly surprised with Madison. Had one of the nicest summers there.

Have fun!

KirkK said...

Hey CC - Bummer on those duck fat fries......but pleeease no ketchup on dogs in Chicago...they'll run you out of town!

caninecologne said...

hi wc - thanks for the recommendation. i hope to make time to check out madison.

i deserve an F in US State Capitols. i was telling my husband after reading your comment, "hey, WC recommends visiting Madison. Why that city?" and he said, "Uh...it's the capitol of Wisconsin...."

So yeah, it's on the way to Waterpark Hell so we plan to drive through and check it out...

hi kirk - hopefully we can get some duck fat fries this friday on the way up to my cousin's place...

yes, i was warned about not asking for ketchup on chicago dogs...

Wandering Chopsticks said...

Oh, and if you do stop by Madison, the ice cream shop has all these fabulous flavors. I just remember they used fresh Door County cherries, the Fat Elvis had peanut butter and banana, stuff like that. I ate an ice cream cone every other day that summer it seemed like. And the Capitol building really is pretty.

Also, near Madison, there's caves. Blue Mountains? A Little Norway (really dinky). And the world's largest mustard museum!!! :)

caninecologne said...

hi wc - oh hell yeah, the world's largest mustard museum!!!!! if we have time, then i'd love to see that! as always, thanks for your recommendations!

Jennywenny said...

How fun! Cool post, made me laugh lots, esp the mullet (which totally looks gorgeous anyway!) are you trying to fit in in the midwest?

Sorry to hear about the water park, hope its not too dreadful, maybe it will be nice and relaxing reading?

Dennis K. said...

Hi CC, I'm SO JEALOUS you've been to Hot Doug's. Green with Envy. I documented my first white castle experience too, he he.

Michael said...

Lions and Tigers and duck fries!! oh my gawd!! (Ok, so those are really Detroit teams and not Chicago).I have seen this place on the Bourdain show as well. I sooooooo want to go. And now maybe a trip to the mustard museum. Oh I do envy you guys.

caninecologne said...

Hi JW, Dennis and Michael - currently in the lobby of the Wildnerness Resort hijacking their free wi-fi. All of their rooms have free wi-fi, however, we are in the FUCKING GOLF CABINS out in the BOONIES. It is in the low 50's, overcast and rainy at times. Sux hairy and veiny donkey ballz, I tell you.

I wasn't on the internet at all yesterday so I'm trying to cram in as much time as I can now while the others are splashing about in this waterpark hell hole.

This place is totally touristy - it's wall to wall hotels/motels/weater parks/cheesy fake dinosaurs/moose/dolphins, etc...

OMFG, a guy just walked by me and let out a huge burp. At least he didn't fart.

RE: Mullet & Reading- that's what I had before I lost my hair and I'm going to get it back again...a more modern and shaggy mullet, mind you. I can rock that look quite viciously. I've been reading "The Lost Symbol" - it reads pretty fast but I haven't gotten very far because of this thing called "interacting with your relatives". Ha.

RE: HOT DOUG'S - Yes, we went again!!!! And this time, we got the duck fat fries. I'll be posting on that later. We also had an interesting dog called "The Atomic Bomb" - now that was quite good!

RE: WHITE CASTLE - I think we went on gang member day. Again, I'm glad those guys didn't break out into a fight!

Hey Michael - I saw the grave of Inez Clarke in Graceland cemetery. Google her and see if you don't get the chills!!!!!!!!

Will be posting more later...