
A couple of my co-workers highly recommended Talavera Azul...

and it proved to be a very popular destination for other people as well because the restaurant was packed...
and we had to wait fifteen minutes (which isn't too bad of a wait in retrospect) to be seated. It was the beginning of the lunch hour (although the restaurant opens at 7:30 am for breakfast), plus there were many "ladies who lunch" (from TJ) and teens and their families celebrating graduation for local area high schools. In fact, I spotted one of my students there, plus a mother of one of my other students (she called me "maestra" which I thought was cool even though I'm not a teacher) AND a former student.


Talavera Azul is owned by the same people who run La Espadana restaurant in TJ (here are some reviews from barrio mix and tripadvisor. It is a very popular restaurant known for their great Mexican breakfasts and Talavera Azul carries on that tradition in downtown Chula Vista. My Mexican co-workers really like this place and I was only too happy to go along with their recommendations.
The name Talavera Azul refers to a famous type of blue and white pottery made in Puebla. It has a milky-white glaze and can also come in other colors besides blue.

All around the restaurant (which is bigger than it looks since there is more seating in the back), you can see many examples of talaveras azules. It is decorated beautifully. The table where we sat had pretty blue and white patterned seat cushions along the banquette.



I was particularly enamored with this wall...

After our short wait, we were seated (thank goodness) next to a window which provided lots of natural light.

Their menu link on yelp is broken. Here are a few pages from their menu. Ironically, the page featuring chilaquiles, THE one dish that they are known for due to the Food Network's airing of "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" episode featuring celebrity Mexican chef Marcela Valladolid, is missing because my shot was too blurry. Sorry for the other blurry shots but I wanted you to see what they offer nevertheless:





I didn't include the desserts page but flan was one of the offerings along with cheesecake, crepes, and arroz con leche.
La Ley got the horchata while another co-worker got the jamaica served in glass mugs.

Three of us got their famous cafe de olla (coffee made in a clay pot). This was before I added cream. It didn't need sugar and I could taste a hint of cinnamon (which wasn't too bad).


Mr. TJ's chicken enchiladas with mole sauce. Everything was served with rice and beans as well as tortillas (both corn and flour/"mixta" per our request).

Our friend's chicken enchiladas with chipotle sauce.

MFH and another co-worker both got Talavera Azul's specialty omelette, the Espadana which filled with mushrooms, green chilis, cheese, and ham topped with chipotle cream sauce. I tasted some of the sauce and the filling and man, it was so good. I want to go here again just to have this!


I ordered the Chicharron with green salsa omelette. There were pieces of softened chicharon skin on top, made soft by the green salsa. Instead of rice, this dish had potatoes. I ate almost everything by the beans (not a bean fan).



If I could have licked the plate clean, I would have. Their sauces are so delicious. My co-worker ended up mopping her chipotle cream sauce with a tortilla. It was that good.
I was afraid that the service would be super slow (based on a few reviews from you know where). Ours turned out to be pretty decent. They were pretty busy so requests for water, more napkins, and ice were not followed up on as quickly as it could have been. Our server was a very nice lady and both Mr. TJ and I (the lone non-Mexicans) got to use some of our Spanish when ordering.

Be prepared for crowded during breakfast and lunch peak hours. Also be prepared for it to be pretty loud as well. Their prices are reasonable and the service friendly.
Here is the link to the Food Network publicity:
"On The Road - Talavera Azul" which also links its appearance on the show, "The Best Thing I ever ate" which was their chilaquiles dish
Talavera Azul
365 3rd Ave
Chula Vista, CA 91910
(619) 427-6476
Their website is broken but here are the reviews from you know where, as well as tripadvisor.
I'm so glad that we went here. Our original plan was to go to Romesco's but it opened at 12 noon and we had to be back on campus by 1:15 pm for a faculty meeting. Vacation is around the corner and I know that I will definitely be back, hopefully with TC and Bert.


2 comments:
I had seen this when driving by ( several times) earlier this year, but never remembered to do any research. It has exactly what I'm looking for: sauces and salsas plus cafe de olla! All the plates look great.
Yes Cathy. You and The Mister should try it, you will love it. It's across from the CV museum, a few doors down from Sweet Sisters Bakery and the CV arch.
Post a Comment