"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Monday, March 22, 2010

Nazca Grill

The day after Valentine's Day, Bert and I had our anti-Valentine's day lunch at Nazca Grill in Clairemont. It's in a small stripmall, the same one that houses Thai Time III. Here's a link to their menu. Check the Yelp reviews here as well as Kirk's post from last summer and a more recent post from the Food Ho.
You can't see it but beyond the far left margin is an area where they roast their chickens. The area on the right is the kitchen.
It's pretty spacious in here...
Menu:
Meat section on the menu:
More menu items:
The one of the left is Inca Kola (tastes like pineapple) and the Chicha Moreno (purple corn soda). I didn't really like the purple soda so I ended up trading with Bert.
This is cool - their wallpaper border has the Nazca Lines!
Fried corn kernels, canchitas, which are complimentary. I wished this was a bigger bowl, this was like a fingertip sized dipping sauce dish. At least they were not served in grody woven baskets like at Latin Chef (see my bitch rant about this here)
Here's the Causa Nazca - a layered potato salad with tuna or chicken (we chose chicken), served with these big corn kernels. We really liked this - nice and cool and potatoey. Ha ha, that's not even a word!
Bistek a la Chorillana - fried steak covered with fried onions and tomatoes served with grilled potatoes and rice (mmmm, starch!). This was Bert's choice...which he really enjoyed.
We also ordered the Ceviche Tiradito Nazca - marinated strips of fish with aji amarillo sauce. The fish strips were quite thin. The sauce, although mild, was delicious, especially with the extra canchitas and the corn on the cob.
For dessert, we chose the Lucuma ice cream (a subtropical fruit found in Peru). I liked this better than the one I had at Latin Chef last summer, which seemed old and kind of dry, if you could even describe ice cream as dry.
The owner, Wilson, was super nice. He was going from table to table talking to the customers and asking if they were enjoying their meals. He was quite personable and liked talking about the ingredients when I asked him about them. Bert and I plan to come here again soon...there were more dishes on the menu that we want to try!

3 comments:

KirkK said...

Hey CC - I think the causa is one of the better items at Nazca grill. It looks like they've improved their tiradito as well. That dish really needed some work the last time we visited.

Jennywenny said...

Cool, thanks for sharing about this place, if its where I think it is (opposite home depot?) it will be right near our new house and we'll be looking for new eats! We're planning on moving in the next couple of months or so....

caninecologne said...

hi kirk - the ceviche was okay. i'm not much of a raw fish person, but i really liked how they prepared this. the flavors were quite fresh. if the causa was a bigger size, i would have been happy to have that as an entree.

hi jw- not sure if it's near home depot. i wasn' driving so i didn't pay any attention. it's on genessee on the west side.