"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Tuesday, December 12, 2017

VoG 2017

Here is this year's compilation of photos...

featuring the Virgin of Guadalupe, whose Feast Day is today...


The first two photos are from the now defunct Studio Maureen's in South Park. The owner had a going out of business sale earlier this year. Her husband was ill and she felt it was time to retire so they could both travel while they still could. Meanwhile, she still sends her loyal customers updates on her life (which was really nice) and travels across the U.S. She recently held a few open houses at her home studio, also in South Park, where one could shop for hand made gifts (jewelry and ceramics made by her).

Can you spot the VoG?

On a cactus paddle, at Por Vida Coffee in Barrio Logan.

You can also find her image on religious candles at the .99 cent store.  This was a very pretty one since she is surrounded by roses.

Seen here on an endcap at Target near the photo frames:


Religious store in downtown Chula Vista:

At the St. Charles Bazaar, this booth was selling Mexican food:

My neighbor gave me this pillow from a garage sale this past summer. One side is leopard print.

The other side is...you guessed it.

Grocery Outlet also sell the candles for .99. It's a much better price than Target's $1.84 and $2.69 price points.

Even Aldi has the candles...next to the batteries.

I loved this version from someone's collection of solar powered toys, as seen at the San Diego Fair this past summer:

The most recent photo was this free scroll calendar from Buffalo Exchange in Hillcrest:

And through the magic of post-dating, here are even more I found at various places (after December 12) such as this corner florist stand in Golden Hill. I saw the familiar silhouette in the window...


Hey, only $1.42 at Walmart:


Plus the mother lode of candles at Vallarta market in National City:


Plus minis:


Incense sticks anyone?

This was quite interesting. Bert and I were browsing around the newest addition of Bad Madge (they took over the Make Good spot next door) which has home furnishings. This was a vintage child's blouse with an embroidered image of the VoG...

My favorite VoG image this year was from our summer trip to Carpinteria. Bert and I walked the first leg of the Franklin Trail.  While heading to the trail, we walked by an empty canal filled with murals, with one section that featured the Virgin of Guadalupe flanked by a stepped pyramid, doves and an agave plant.



So lovely!

My Carpinteria posts are still in development and I hope to finish them during the Winter Break or within a few months.

Last year's post:
2016

Previous posts:
2015
2014
2013

There weren't a lot of "random" ones this year or maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.  Next year I'll be more vigilant. It's always fun finding her image in places I least expect it...

2 comments:

Cathy Doe said...

Great compilation!

caninecologne said...

Thank you Cathy! It is always fun spotting pix for this yearly post.