"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Friday, January 04, 2019

Food Crawl with Cathy - Stop 1 @ Mexico Lindo Bakery + Stop 2 @ Al Pastor

The first Friday of the New Year brought me and Cathy of mmm-yoso to this corner...

Broadway and E in this unassuming strip mall...

where one of our favorite bakeries relocated a year ago....Mexico Lindo Bakery.

It is the time of year where many Mexican bakeries and panaderias sell this, the Rosca de Reyes (here is an older post that goes into the history/meaning of this special cake; that post also links Cathy's informative post from 2014).

We were actually here to get a few cookies (glamour shot below; will be eaten later).

One of the ladies offered us a piece of their rosca and I am not kidding you when I say it was a life changing experience. I've had roscas before, but theirs blew everyone else's away. Just look at THAT thing!  It's huge. The fruit strips are not merely placed on there in measly rows. No, this was a whole clump of them! Plus powdered sugar and the most delightful filling ever. If you hate raisins, then the filling isn't for you. The sample she gave us was also warm which makes a big different.

Before we left, another bakery gave us ANOTHER rosca sample. This time, the topping were crumbs with powdered sugar. The filling had nuts as well. Both samples were decadent. I was afraid I would be too sugared out too early in the morning, but oh, it was worth it.

Now I know where to order the rosca for next year! Cathy as well!

Our first actual food stop was here, at Al Pastor.  Ironically, it's located in the same space that Mexico Lindo used to be at.

Here is an older photo from when this space was Mexico Lindo Bakery:

(photo from my older post, "Return to Mexico Lindo and Gloria's" from Nov. 2013)

They not only took over Mexico Lindo's old space but the space next to that! It's huge inside here.


The photos inside depict Mexico City, which used to be called D.F.  (Distrito Federal or the initials pronounced, "deh eh-feh") which has been renamed as CDMX or Ciudad de Mexico (more about the name change here).

Tacos for breakfast, why yes.

Chuleta ahumada (smoked pork chops), costilla  (ribs) and their namesake, the al pastor (marinated pork)

A serving tray of condiments was brought out - two green (both different), a red (dark and smoky) and fresh salsa plus a separate container of chopped onions and cilantro.

Of the tacos, I liked the flavor of the al pastor the best but the smoked pork chop was equally tasty. The ribs were also nice but needed some condiments to wake it up.  Tacos are a good way to start the day!

Cathy ordered the molletes with beans and chorizo. A mollete is a popular breakfast food (considered a comfort food much like the American grilled cheese sandwich). It resembles an open faced sandwich and is topped with beans and cheese and meat. We were asked if we wanted red or green. I thought they meant the sauce on top of it. They meant the color of the meat! This was quite different for me seeing green chorizo. I usually don't associate the color green with meat.  These were quite hefty and hearty slices. I ended up saving half of my half for Bert later.

A fun start to our crawl - free rosca samples and a great sampling of various meats at a fairly new Mexican eatery with emphasis on Mexico City cuisine.

Previous visit to Mexico Lindo Bakery:
October 2018 (desserts roundup post)

Who else has been to Al Pastor?
Kirk's post from June 2018 covers a lot of ground...

But we weren't done yet. Not even close! Up next...tamales! Can you guess where?

No comments: