"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Ruth's Chris Steakhouse

About two weekends ago, I took one of my really good friends out for her birthday. Although her b-day was in the beginning of August, we went out towards the end of the month due to other committments on both our parts. She mentioned that she had never been to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse downtown. Neither had I. Number one, it's quite pricy, and Number two, it's kind of touristy, ain't it? I don't like consorting with the Zonies and conventioneers. But nevertheless, she is a steak lover and I wanted to take her there - she'd helped me out a lot during my recovery, kept me company, did errands for me, etc, and this was the least I could do for her. Our dinner reservation was for 5 pm and it was a Saturday to boot. We got caught in traffic (see above) due to the Tall Ships Festival. We were only a few minutes late and got seated before the dinner rush.
We were given a table for two by the window where we had a great view (through the drawn sheer shades) of the Star of India and the madness of the Tall Ships Festival. My only gripe is that the tables were so close to each other. I couldn't really lean my chair back or I'd practically be back humping the lady behind me. I have to tell you though that the service was impeccable. Very attentive but not overbearing. Before the waiter put down the plate, he suggested that I hold the napkin over my blouse because the plate was super hot and it might splatter butter (or oil or whatever) on me. I ordered the petit filets with shrimp. Each filet mignon was 4 oz. and came topped with a trio of juicy and buttery shrimp.
I ordered my petit filet medium - I'm not into rare. I only ate one and ended up saving the rest for TC. I normally don't order steak in restaurants or even buy it or cook it at home. This was a splurge and a treat for me. The meat was so juicy and tender and I could feel that butter hardening in my arteries with each successive bite. I mean, you only live once right? (Cue "Meat is Murder" by the Smiths here)
My friend had the T-Bone Steak. According to our waitress, having the bone in adds more flavor and she was right! This was some steak - I had a bit of the fatty edges. Again, artery clogging material...
By the way, everything is a la carte here so you can't order a "complete" dinner. If you want sides, you have to pay separately. We only got one side, the Mushrooms (also sizzling with butter) because we wanted to make sure we had room for dessert at the end. No greens here. No salad. I remember reading a review on Yelp that said they ordered the broccoli and it was like a huge tree branch. Just mushrooms for us, thank you. It was good that we only ordered one side because having two might have been overkill for us.
We ordered the Chocolate Duo for dessert:
Sorry, duddy photo. Kind of dark.
So pretty...too bad it's about to get demolished:
By the way, the dessert was kind of pedestrian. Your basic chocolate cake with gooey filling gussified with berries. But hey, we wanted chocolate and the dessert had two items we both wanted so wtf.
Here's the other half of that dessert - I liked the chocolate pot du creme but not the whipped cream topping. Too much fluff for me.
By the time we left, the place was packed and crawling with people,most likely tourists. Glad we went earlier for dinner. In my opinion, Ruth's Chris is a place to go to if you have money to burn and really like steak. Other than our curiosity factor and my friend's desire to eat here, I'd probably not go here again. The service was good (I'm sure the servers got their routine down if they want to earn a good tip from their clientele) and the food as well, but then again, I'm not a steak connoisseur. I just think that you could probably get just as good a steak at a lesser priced place.

1 comment:

Kilatzin said...

Meat is murder . . . murder that is extremely exquisite and yummy for my tummy. If that's true, then excellent steak is akin to a political assasination.