"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Marukai

Last week, my daughter and I went to Marukai. We were planning to have lunch somewhere else, but ended up buying our lunch at Marukai Grocery. Yeah, a grocery store. We were going to eat at Mitsuwa originally, but at Maruakai, they have a section where you can buy prepared food. This was the fried oyster bento, which came with pickled vegetables, spaghetti with sliced hot dogs (eww) and rice with a pickled plum in the middle. Next to the fried oysters is a fried piece of chicken. This was for TC (she shared some with me). The ume (pickled plum) was way to sour for TC. She tried it but didn't like it. For our drink, we had a wanna be Ramune that came in a can, rather than a glass bottle with the marble in it.
I like Mitsuwa's fried oysters, but these were bigger and came in a bento so I decided to try it.
I also bought a small tray of soba noodles with shredded nori on top. Not pictured is a tray of California roll that I bought for us to share. I wanted to get a cold dish since it was hot that day. The soba noodles were refreshing, especially with the wasabe. I wasn't sure where we were going to eat this food, but I noticed that there were tables with chairs right outside of the store, so we ate our lunch there with the traffic on Balboa Avenue and Mercury as our view. Lovely. Inhale those gas fumes.After our lunch, we went to Mitsuwa to get a few snacks. But before going to Mitsuwa, we went to the newly opened (temporary, I'm sure) Halloween store in the same complex. We ended up buying her a magic wand for her Halloween costume. This was a Harry Potter wand because she is going to be a Gryffindor student this year (Gryffindor - one of the four houses at the Hogwarts School of Wizardry and Witchcraft - from 'Harry Potter'). I already got her gray uniform skirt, Gryffindor tie and robe. So, now she is all set! She's been reading the books, albeit slowly. There's a lot of difficult vocabulary in the books. She is now on book 6, "The Half-Blood Prince". Unfortunately, the movie of the same name which was slated to open on November 21 has been pushed back to July 2009. The good news is that the movie adaptation of 'Twilight' will take it's place!
This was a new Pocky flavor I hadn't seen before. Of course, that meant I had to try it. It seems more appetizing that Octopus flavor (which I've tried before). There was another type of Chocolate Pocky that I bought (not pictured). It looked like the regular Pocky but with a different box. What I found was that the pocky sticks are skinnier than normal. It was just skinny Pocky.
They should make a Jackfruit flavored pocky. Or how about Ube?

3 comments:

KirkK said...

I'm waiting for Durian Pocky...after all they have Durian Moon Cakes nowadays!

caninecologne said...

hi kirk,
durian pocky would be interesting...they already make durian popsicles. yum-my.

Unknown said...

WOW! Blueberry Pocky! I've never seen that! *sigh* I had a Japanese student with us (just left two days ago) and I was telling her how much I miss my years teaching in Japan...if only for all the cool things you can buy and eat over there! LOL! Just kidding! ;) Totally loved it there...but the food and merchandise were really cool too!