I'm posting this about a week an a half later (9/30). Today I met one of my good friends for lunch at Ranas, located off the Kenwood/94 exit (next to the new Fresh & Easy).
She works at a year round school so she was on vacation. I haven't eaten here since last year and I really liked their flor de calabasas (squash flower blossom) quesadillas. My friend knows the owner and his wife and they were there that day. Although it was hot, we chose to eat outside because no one else was sitting on their empty patio (which has recently been added on). That way, we could talk about whatever we wanted without people hearing us. Also, because we cuss a lot. Okay, becaue I cuss a lot. Here's a board of their specials:
Somewhat blurry pics of the menu. Click if you want to see it larger.
Ranas may look like a regular Mexican place, but their food is a notch higher than your typical 'Bertos joint. The prices are reasonable also. Not like (cough) Frida's. Also, don't expect to get chips and salsa here. Ranas don't play that.
This was my friend's dish. She ordered one of the specials, the Chicken in Pecan Sauce which is served with rice and beans. The owner's wife said the sauce had pecans and almonds in them (most likely ground up). She's had their peanut butter chicken before so she wanted to try something different. I tried a little bit of hers and that sauce was quite creamy which probably also equals rich and fattening.
Because I've never tried this before, I got the Shrimp in Poblano Sauce which is also served with rice & beans and your choice of either flour or corn tortillas. Initially, the waitress gave me Chicken in Poblano Sauce so I had to take it back. The owner was apologetic and whipped up the proper dish in no time. There was more than a dozen shrimp in there! I couldn't even finish half of the shrimps.
I also really liked my dish's sauce. It was creamy and had strips of poblano chile in there. By the way, they do not give spoons. We asked for spoons so we could really enjoy the sauce on our rice. I really liked this because you coudl really taste the sauce! There was a bit of heat, but not too much to overwhelm you.
Halfway through our lunch, I realized that I didn't even order what I had been wanting to eat at Ranas - the Squash flower quesadillas. Dammit. I was already full and I didn't want to order it to go because it wouldn't taste as good cold. I'll have to get it next time, and soon! It'll give my an excuse to come out here again!
Wednesday, September 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment